Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My PC is Windows 10 64bit. I have .mp4 files on my home PC

My PC is Windows 10 64bit. I have .mp4 files on my home PC which play perfectly in “Movies and TV” whether I select the file off my hard drive, or, whether I connect to my NAS drive.
I share my NAS drive on my Panasonic TX-L42E5B Television. However, when I play the same .mp4 files on my Television, they all stop about 5 minutes from the end and will not play any further. Also, I cannot fast forward or rewind on the television, but I can perfectly on my PC.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Matt,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

The TV may be indexing the files if there are a lot of them.

Can you do a test by copying one of the files which doesn't fully play onto a separate memory stick, and then plug it directly into the TV and let me know if it works on its own?
--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, thanks. No, if I put a working file on a USB stick it still has the same issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Ok, where did you get the MP4 files from?

"MP4" is just a file container, the video within is likely H.264 of which there are various sub-sets of that specification like base/main/high.

The Panasonic media player software on your TV is not a particularly robust media player and the files you have could have been encoded in a manner that it will not play back fully as they have some mix of H.264 profiles the TV does not support.

You could try using conversion software on your computer to convert the movie files again into a compatible MP4 format.

http://www.avdshare.com/panasonic-tv-video-converter-for-mp4-avi-mkv-mov-flv-wmv

Let me know how it works out..

Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Pete, I downloaded the AVDShare video converter software and it solved my problem when I used it to convert the files. Very annoyed that I had to pay for the software and your assistance, when Panasonic should have updated their TV's to be compatible with all file formats.