JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a DVD Recorder Model No. DMR-XS350EB. It has suddenly

I have a DVD Recorder Model No. DMR-XS350EB. It has suddenly stopped receiving any signal from the satellite dish.
Nothing has happened to the dish.The connections are fine (I know this because two of the outputs from the dish feed a Sky Box.
I have tried to re tune using "Auto tune" but this does not work and the on screen message still reads "No Signal".
The other recorder functions are unaffected. It still plays back recorded material on the the HDD and DVD drives and still records (copies) material on to DVDs.
What is the problem?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

There are two potential issues, either the feed is faulty or the tuner is faulty.

To rule out the feed I would suggest you unscrew one of the coax leads going to the sky plus box and plug it into the DVD recorder then retune.

If the issue persists it rules out a faulty cable, LNB and it must be a failure on the DVD player.

The next step would be to do a factory reset on the DVD recorder, the manual for the unit can be found here, instructions for performing a factory reset are on page 110.

If the factory reset didnt work, then this would suggest its a hardware failure, most likely the Satellite Tuner, which would be uneconomical to repair.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I had to fly to Prague today and I will be here until Sunday (14th August) night. I will try your suggestions on Monday and let you know the result.Paul Sproxton
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I already tried using one of the coax leads going to the Sky box and doing a retune but this didn't work.
PS
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know it sounds like its not a faulty cable and must be with the DVD recorder.

Let me know how the factory reset goes when you get back, safe travels.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear James
I have now returned from abroad and have applied the factory reset.Unfortunately, this has not resolved the problem. It still puts up a message stating that there is no incoming signal.Although the unit is nine years old, it seems to me a strange sort of fault, (non mechanical), to occur out of the blue. If it had been the DVD player/recorder, it would have been easier to understand.Paul
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul,

This must be a fault with the inbuilt tuner then, since we have ruled out a cable fault (so know signal is getting to the box).

Due to the age the unit I think its uneconomical to repair, as the Tuner normally is integrated on the main board so you end up changing 60% of the unit.

If you would still like to proceed and look to get it repaired, if you provide me your post code I can recommend a suitable service centre who can look at it for you.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks James
My Postcode is LN5 0PE
Paul
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I have referred customers to East Midlands Electrical (01476 576160) in the past, they are 10 Miles from you in Alma Park Rd, and have always had good feedback.

In speaking to them they have advised they may struggle to get parts, as Panasonic (like most manufactures) would sooner you buy a newer model every few years, but advised they will perform a diagnostic and give you a quote for repair for £20, which is nonrefundable if you proceed with the repair\the parts are available.

James