Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Yamaha NP31S keyboard. A few weeks ago I

I have a Yamaha NP31S keyboard. A few weeks ago I accidentally plugged in a different power lead and the power went on initially but then there was a flash and the power went out. Sincethen I have tried the keyboard with the correct lead and still have no power. In desperation I put batteries in but still have no power. Is this repairable as I've only had the instrument for about 18 months, and it would break my heart to no longer be able to use it.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Ron,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
34;Hi Ron" is hardly an answer to my question! Please let me have a proper reply
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been waiting since 9.13 this morning and am disappointed not to have received a proper answer. If I have not heard by 11pm tonight I will cancel my membership and demand a refund.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. You were offline when I responded earlier.

Do you know the voltage and polarity of the incorrect power lead that was fitted?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I had to go out and have only just returned home. I don't know the polarity of the incorrect lead. The voltage is input 220-240 volts, output 30 volts. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Ok, depending on what incorrect lead was used, it may have caused irreparable damage to the internal circuitry of the keyboard. This is because the keyboard is designed for use with a particular voltage and polarity power supply adapter.

Incorrect voltage or polarity will damage the sensitive internal electronic components.

Since the keyboard is not functioning with the correct power lead or with batteries, it seems that damage has been caused and it will require a repair.

You can take it to your local Yamaha music dealer, or contact Yamaha directly to arrange a repair:

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/

Let me know if you need any further information.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am credited for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can still reply back at any time.
Pete.
--------------------