Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My massey ferguson 65 tractor new battery has shorted out on

hi,my massey ferguson 65 tractor new battery has shorted out on the metal bonnet and has gone dead.i tried another battery (not new) with no luck. I can jump start with leads and it starts ok and was hoping that with a few hours work it would charge up again.Unfortunately no luck still dead flat.question is do you think its a new battery I need or something else such as an altanator or coil or something? Hoping you can help me,Thanks Dave
Category: Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave,

If you left the tractor running a few hours (at a high rev, not just idling) but the battery didn't charge at all, then the alternator may be faulty.

You could try removing the battery and putting it on a bench charger for a few hours.

If it then starts ok but fails to recharge in the tractor, this will help confirm that the alternator is faulty.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer helped so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------