Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I was recently given a Panasonic DVDR Model No. EZ49VEB

I was recently given a Panasonic DVDR Model No. EZ49VEB which worked without problem until this week. After recording a programme on disc, when I pressed the disc tray open/close button, there was no response. Instead the unit display showed "lock" and the disc was not released.The Operating Instructions contain no reference to this display. On occasions the indicator DVD 3 appears but with the system shut down I cannot activate the Function Menu.I would be grateful for any assistance you can give to restore the recorder to normal function.
Robert Hilstones
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Robert,

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

This appears to be a slight software glitch on the DMR.

You can try performing a reset using the menu first.

If that doesn't work, try installing the latest firmware update, available from the Panasonic website:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ez49v/uk.html

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer helped so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete,
Thank you for your advice and confirmation re. the software glitch. However I advised that the Function Menu was not available due to the recorder being inoperable. This is still the case and until the "lock" is removed, even the installation of a firmware update would, I believe, not be possible.
Robert
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

To cancel the lock, try pressing and hold [OK] and [RETURN ] simultaneously until the Hold disappears.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete,
Tried the recommended procedure however no success. "Lock" became "Hold" in the display but no release of the disc in the recorder.
Robert
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Try pressing and hold [OK] and [RETURN ] - let me know what happens?

If this method doesn't work, try leaving it powered off and unplugged overnight for 12 hours.

-------

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)

Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete
Powered off for 24 hours, pressed OK and Return. got "Hold", pressed Open/Close, got "Lock" no other response.
Robert
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Ok, it is still stuck in Child Lock/Hold mode, so try the following to unlock it:

When the display shows HOLD, press the "Enter" and "1" buttons on the remote together for 3 seconds while pointing the remote at the machine. When the display changes to "DVD1" press enter again. If that doesn't work, try pressing the "Enter" and "3" buttons...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete
Tried to execute your latest suggestion however my remote does not have an "Enter" button.
Robert
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Robert,

You can use the OK button instead of Enter.

Pete.