Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My Sony BRAVIA KDL-52W4500 Takes about 5 mins. to warm up

My Sony BRAVIA KDL-52W4500 Takes about 5 mins. to warm up then perfect.
Category: Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When warming up the picture is out of focus and is doubled up vertically by about 100mm.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
Ok if you can help. Ideally I am trying to find out if it is worth pursuing a repair or live with the delayed start up until it deteriorates to such an extent that it becomes impractible. The quality of the picture is unimpaired after the warm up period and the sound ok.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The fault is likely with the power supply board, which will cost around £100 to replace plus labour.

Eventually it will completely fail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV was purchased from John Lewis locally here in Edinburgh who do have a repair service however £100 seems low as most services cost that just for a visit. Perhaps I could check out an estimate stating the likely fault. Do you know if a new power supply board will still be available as the model is year 2008 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm half asleep, Edinburgh festival is on and I'm lacking sleep :-) I see you said £100 plus labour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the likely fault of the power board is repaired successfully for say £200, do you think it a worth while investment on a 8 year old Sony BRAVIA KDL-52W4500 ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Eddie,

I wouldn't spend that much on an 8 year old TV, since for a little bit more you could buy an equivalent new model.

If repaired, there is a risk that other boards could fail soon after, given the age of the TV.

I have found a refurbished power supply board available for £42: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-876-290-13-G5-A-1558-703-A-SONY-KDL-52W4500-POWER-SUPPLY-/331913798561

If you have some technical skills, you could swap in the replacement board yourself and save on the labour costs too.

Hope that helps!

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okaydokay Pete I will give it a go. Although I'm a civil Engineer I have enough Knowledge of Electrics to be careful.
Many thanks for Information. Glad you got back to me. I would have felt a bit naive had you been a robot :-)
Cheers,
Eddie.