nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a Samsung NP300 laptop. Works excellently, but it has

I have a Samsung NP300 laptop. Works excellently, but it has just ceased to function if I disconnect the mains supply. It registers 90%+ battery capacity, but goes dead if I unplug. Takes 5 minutes to boot back up. Nuisance
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris. Welcome to justanswer.

How old is your laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eighteen months,

Chris, turn off the laptop. Then remove the mains cable. Turn the laptop upside down and remove the battery. Now wait for an hour. Then again plug the battery back and connect the mains cable. Once the laptop has booted successfully then remove the mains cable and check if it still turns off or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try it when I'm on down time. If it doesn't work, any Plan B?

Most probably the battery of the laptop has gone bad. You will need to replace it. That would be the ultimate fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other wrinkles possible, then? Some automatic cut-out programmed in, whatever?

The issues you are facing are the typical problems that happen when the battery of the laptop reaches its end of life. Since it has already been one and a half year, the battery has become faulty and is not able to hold the charge. That is why the laptop cuts out when you remove mains cable. If you don't wish to replace the battery then you can keep using the laptop through ac mains.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. One last thing. I do leave the laptop plugged in, I'm presuming that's what's shortened the battery life ... bad habit?

Chris, do not use the mains power all the time. Run the laptop on battery once in a week. Do let me know if you want links for buying a new battery.

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services. Thanks