Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have an HP ENVY 5530 and a Lenovo tablet the printer has

I have an HP ENVY 5530 and a Lenovo tablet the printer has been working fine but I am now getting a message saying it is incognito and not working.
I am pretty computer illiterate.
Please help.
Michael
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Michael,
My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

If you haven't already done so, try a reboot of the tablet first -

press and hold the power button to shut the tablet down, then restart it again..

Try printing again and let me know if it works?

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I may be computer illiterate but I am not stupid, even I know that you reboot as the first choice. What a waste of £9.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming - you would be surprised how many people do not try a reboot first!

We can continue...

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Please confirm the EXACT message you are getting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
First I was told my question was much to complicated and was asked for a further £22 , then I got a reply to reboot my device, that's it, if you think I am going to pay your outfit £31 for this sort of service,think again.
Michael
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Michael,
You can ignore any automated messages - they are sent by the site, not me.
You have requested a low level of detail for your answer, and as I have already stated, you would be surprised how many people do not try a reboot first.
I have asked for you to confirm the EXACT message you are getting, and I am still awaiting that information.
Please advise...
Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I stated it just says printer incognito.
Regards Michael
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Where are you getting this message - on the printer, or within some software on your computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On my tablet,but only once,message from printer No Filtering - Fail.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Ok, this indicates a problem with your wireless network setup - either your wireless router is configured for "Mac Address Filtering", or the type of security it uses is not supported by the printer.

Do you know if your wireless router is set up to use Mac Address Filtering?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about,the printer was working fine then suddenly stopped.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

The printer is unable to connect to your wireless network.

So nothing in your wireless setup was changed?

Then the fault must be with the printer itself.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's what I have been saying all along.Its reason I came to your site,as you are the experts on fixing printers.
Michael
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Ok, so is the printer still under warranty?

Have you tried contacting your local HP dealer or HP directly to get the printer repaired or replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The printer is only 2 months old and hardly been used. I think it is to do with the Filtering problem but I do understand it
Michael
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

"Filtering" is where you can turn on a filtering system on your wireless router to filter out certain users or devices to prevent them from using your computer.

If you haven't turned on wireless filtering then the fault is likely with the printer itself - you could try connecting it to a different wireless router at a friend's house to confirm it is faulty, or get a computer store to check and confirm for you.

Since it is only 2 months old you will be covered by HP's warranty.

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you tell me how to turn off the filter if I have accidentally turned on please.
Michael
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

It is in the router's configuration settings, which needs to be accessed using the password, normally printed on the bottom of your router.