Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Renault megane 150 gt dci locked in limp mode The car starts

Customer Question

renault megane 150 gt dci locked in limp mode The car starts and runs perfect The only fault showing is the spanner and engine management light is on .the temp gauge stopped working .Have had it on diagnostic machine and shows 6 faults all with the same answer short curcuit
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Richard,

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

If the car's computer does not receive a temperature signal due to a short circuit or some other fault, then the car will automatically be placed in limp mode as a precautionary measure. The temperature measurement problem will need to be rectified before the car will come out of limp mode.

Have you recently been driving in an area of heavy rain or flooding? Water getting into the engine compartment is the most common cause of a short circuit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have not been in heavy rain .How can i find what is the problem with tempreture guage not working ,have checked conn. have checked fuse ection and wiring any idea where and if there a fuse for this unit,Have checked all fuses in car.Would you know if the gauge as fuse under bonnet [Have not been able to find a wiring diagram for this car
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

The temperature sensor is part of the thermostat housing, located on the right hand side of the engine block, above and to the right of the TDC sensor. Check there for any loose wires first. Use a multimeter to check if a signal is being sent from the sensor.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

If the sensor is faulty (a common fault on these Meganes) it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went to the main agents and asked ,about a new tempreture sender .They looked at me as if i had gone mad ,it took 2 people to come back with an answer ,and they said the only sencer for tempreture was an item that i had to buy as a complete unit that fits to engine ,At his i could see they have not got a clue.and left .Thanks for info i will get battery and battery tay out and see if it is removeable sencer Richard
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update, Richard.
Please take a moment to rate my service :)
You can still reply back at any time.
Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete Would you know if you can replace sender.I will check with voltmetre
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

The sensor is likely supplied as part of the complete thermostat housing and not individually, so you will need to replace the complete housing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete Brought new housing and fitted ,it as not made any difference .Still starts and runs apart from not revning over 2500rev .checked all connections ,all ok .only thing that is not working is the tenpreture guage your help please Richard
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pete Checked sensor when cold 1.65 oms when in hot water it went slow with to 4.71 oms on multimetre .Any idea what readings i should get at plug terminals