Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I'm trying to connect my new Toshiba Laptop (Satellite

Customer Question

Hi. I'm trying to connect my new Toshiba Laptop (Satellite L70-12R) to a 10yr+ old Panasonic TV. I am partially sighted, so need to use a large screen, hence the use of the Panasonic TV. I have tried connecting with a HMRI cable from the laptop and into the TV via a HMRI adaptor, but with no joy. I wonder if you might have some ideas? many thanks, Paul
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 3 months ago.

Hi Paul. Welcome to justanswer.

Does your TV has an HDMI port? And by hmri cable do you mean HDMI cable?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan. No, this Panasonicv TV is rather old and doesn't have a HDMI port, and, sorry, yes, i did mean a HDMI cable. I've tried using an HDMI adaptor with a standard, blue, 15 pin monitor cable
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, I mean't a "15 point monitor ADAPTOR"
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I'm only a student I'm afraid that I cannot afford to pay for you to securely connect to my system. Sorry about that

Does your laptop have a 15 pin VGA port?

That is an automatic offer. Please ignore that. Does your laptop have a 15 pin vga port. I will attach image if you are having nu confusion

Check this image

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm guessing you mean a female version of the male 15 pin port

Yes I meant that only. Are you using HDMI to VGA cable?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has two usb ports on the right side and two usb ports on the left side, together with a HDMI port on the right and what looks like a printer out port

So you were using HDMI to VGA (15 pin) cable, right?

Paul you will need to buy an adapter for mirroring the laptop to your tv. It is available to £5.

CLICK HERE TO BUY

Connect one end of your monitor cable to this and other to your TV and you will be good to go

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, we're using a VGA male to VGA male cable from the monitor, and then a VGA female to male HDMI adaptor into the laptop

Remove any other input from your TV

Which OS is there on your laptop? Windows 10,8,7 etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. It's Windows 10 we think, and we've tried unplugging everything else from the TV

What exactly are you seeing on your TV? Any colored lines?

Make sure all the connections are tight. Try switching the VGA cable's male end from the TV and to the adptor.

Press the Windows logo on your bottom left of the screen

Choose Settings.

Select Devices.

Choose Connected Devices.

Click Add a Device.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. I've tried all of that and at the moment I've got my PC using the TV screen. I'm not sure how to reconnect to you if I switch to using the laptop

Open justanswer.co.uk in your browser and log into your account. You will get this conversation there

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. I've now discoverred that there is, in fact, a HDMI port on the back of the TV, so i've connected a HDMI cable from the TV into the laptop. Have also tried disconnecting the PC from the TV, but still no joy! A friend asks "could it be that the TV or PC either needs a driver installed, or the TV needs telling that the Laptop can connect?"

Did you go to the settings on your laptop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It seems to freeze the laptop

Remove the HDMI port and then again go to Settings