Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Have a Viera TV ..when switched on continous red light ...no

Customer Question

Have a Viera TV ..when switched on continous red light ...no picture ...normally get a flashing red light and then picture comes on...
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.
- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased 2009 ...Model No. TX-37LZD80
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only this pm has this happened
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.

Does power light on TV blink in specific pattern when TV refuse to switch On?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - power light is continuous red ..no blinking
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, have you tried to disconnect TV power lead from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that ...no change ...We have Sky+ and had trouble with the signal this pm and when in Sky 501 pressed red button and message loading came up and stayed there ....we then turned TV off and then 2 hours later went to try TV again and had this problem ...
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, solid red power light doesn't indicate any trouble in TV so have you tried to press power button on TV itself or put new batteries in remote that you use to operate the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have changed remote batteries recently ....power button on TV ...can press that and turn TV off - no red light ....press that pwer button again and hear TV "start" and fixed red light appears...no picture .....remote has no effect at all other than making that red light blink while - say AV is pressed - and of course no picture
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd symptom, does TV screen glow/ show backlight or any graphics appear on screen when switch On the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - nothing ...other than this red light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all cable connections and all OK ..
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately it seems hardware related failure and either power supply board or main board of TV has got internal failure which is causing the problem. It needs further troubleshooting with multimeter after removing back cover of TV to check output volts of power supply board which will help to determine what board is bad to get it replaced and this will fix the TV problem.

Please reply back if you have multimeter and can check volts on circuit board in TV to assist you further and if you are uncomfortable working on it then local TV repair shop will do this for you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Shahid - that is what I was expecting ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid ....just for your information ....the continuous red light I had meant it was in standby mode ....now I must have turned power off 3-4 times for 30 mins or so each time and still had the same problem .....then ...3 hours later ...I turn everything on - press tv button on remote ....and it all came back .....very strange ....but good news ...
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is strange symptom, have you tried to press power button on TV itself to switch it On?