Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

How do I clear jammed paper on Epson Stylus DX7400 printer?

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

If you open up the printer where you access the ink, then try to remove the paper from there, are you able to do this?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard: I had already tried that, but (a) the paper seems very firmly stuck, and (b) - more to the point - the print head [?] the thing that transports the ink cartridges - is in the way and I don't know how to release that either. Pulling, even gently [tho' firmly] has only succeeded in tearing the paper, now in 'a right fankle'. I should mention that I find fine motor control of fingers & wrists difficult, as I have Parkinson's. [Apologies for delay - I had a visitor]. Beginning to get urgent!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok and no problem with the delay John

Remove the power to the printer and try to move the printhead by force with your hand to get it out of the way.

Are you able to do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Managed to shift the print head - no bother; made some progress easing scrunched paper forward into the 'well' of the printer, but in the end I proved stronger than the paper which has sheared off... and I can't back-release it either.. There must be approx half-a-sheet of A4 unget-attable in the machine. Tempted to utter a rude word! [Not at you, though!!]
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can understand John!

But you need to get the paper out, we cannot avoid this, is there someone who could pull on it very hard to get it out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The paper was truly 'clamped' in the works: short answer to your question is, 'Me!' I honestly hadn't DARED pull that hard. But its out now. Just going to see if the machine is still OK... [PAUSE] Worked fine for a few pages, then 'scrunched' again! However, this time I at least have a strategy. Watch this space....
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I advise to wipe and clean all the rollers in the printer John as they can be sticking to the paper, causing this issue.

Use a damp cloth and make sure it is as clean as possible and see if this stops the jam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd managed to clear it from 'jam' another couple of times, Richard - but I honestly feel the time has come to pension of - not just me, but the printer as well... and get a more reliable one. At 73 (and with a neurologically degenerative condition) life is simply too short. But many thanks for your help and advice.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, though I would try the cleaning I advised on.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit.