nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

Trying to connect my panasonic NV-GS400EB to my macbook pro

Trying to connect my panasonic NV-GS400EB to my macbook pro 2012 but the mini usb to USB cable supplied results in the camera not being recognised.
There does not seem to be a DV socket on the camera so I am at loss to know which cable I need to get to attach the camera via firewire which seems to be the solution suggested on the internet.
Help please.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 10 months ago.

Hi Geoff. Welcome to justanswer.

Have you tried changing the ports?

When you connect the camera, do you hear any sound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried both USB sockets on the macBook pro and one on my iMac, camera not detected with no picture or sound.

Do you have any other device or computer to check if the fault is with the usb cable?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cable works fine with my DS500 nikon camera.

Have you turned the dial of the camcorder to PC mode before connecting it to your Macbook?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
computer see the camera to view photos ok but will not download video.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With camera in play back mode camera not recognised by iMovie or Debut apps

You need MotionDV STUDIO in your system. Do you have it installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Can only see versions for windows not Mac, can you point me to a web site to download please?

I also checked at my end. The software is not compatible with Mac OSX. So the only way you can transfer is via sd card.

GS400 is a mini-DV camcorder, you need to use FireWire to transfer your video, not USB. Do you have it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That can't be right surely? The camera saves to tape so it is impossible to import from the SD card.

You need this kind of wire to transfer directly without any software.

Check the attached image

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have firewire posts on the mac but the port on the camera is a mini usb although it does have 4 pin socket in it. I have not been able to find a suitable cable anywhere, if you know where I can buy one in the UK that would be a big help.

Sure Geoff. You can buy it from here.

CLICK HERE TO BUY

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have bought a 4 pin DV connector to Firewire but it does not fit the camera slot, please see attached photo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This looks like the standard camera soccer on all my digital cameras and is not a 4 pin firewall socket.

The GS400 ( and indeed all MiniDV camcorders) have firewire. It looks like small USB and may be called Dv out or i-link ect but it does have one Behind the baterry compartment?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Found it, beside the battery at the rear of the camera. Now I can give it a go. Sorry feel like a right pratt now. I knew there had to be a simple answer!
Now I have to buy the right cable, the one I got doesn't fit the Mac!

Buy from the link which I provided above. Your problem will be resolved then

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services.
You will see a tab on your screen saying WRITE A REVIEW. A positive review/bonus is well appreciated. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
s;ent £20 on this consultation, followed the link and spent another £10 on the recommended cable.
When it arrived 3 days later WQRONG CABLE!
So that was value for money then.
Spent another 2 hours researching the internet to eventually find my own solution from comments on the Amazon web page.
Your service totally failed!

I am sorry that Amazon sent you a wrong cable. But the solution I provided was the only way to connect your camcorder.