JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a kodak all in one printer ESP C310 - suddenly it

I have a kodak all in one printer ESP C310 - suddenly it will not print in black & white. Colour is fine and I have installed new cartridges. Can you help please
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

It sounds like a hardware fault rather than a software one. Are you using genuine Kodak cartridges or the generic brands?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the black cartridge is generic but it had worked for some time.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

The most likely cause will be a blocked print head, the inks work fine (I use generic myself), but if you dont use the ink regularly they dry on the print head very easily, and also leave residue over time which builds up - as the chemical in the ink are cheap.

You can buy printhead cleaners such as the one here, from experience its 50:50, personally I would buy a new print head such as the one here.

To confirm its the print head, does the page 'print' just with no ink of the page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clour prints fine it is just the black & white element that is missing. The Advast technician did carry out a print head cleaning process but the fault remained.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried printing a black only page, such as some test on a word document. If the page goes through the printer do you see the print head go back and forth as if it was going to print, but just no ink shown on the page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and it prints a very shadowy grey but the print head is going backward and forward as normal.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Excellent this proves its a print head issue.

The automated\inbuilt print head cleaner is not designed to clear a blocked print head, but to improve picture sharpness and quality. For example where you start to get bleeding on the page etc.

There is special chemicals which you manually syringe into the print head which breaks down the blockage, this is what the kit referenced above is for.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I personally would suggest you buy a new print head however, since alot of the time (n my experience) the blockage doesnt clear.

Instructions for replacing the print head can be found here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.How much is it in? If it is too expensive it may be cheaper to buy a new printer? What do you think?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

A new print head is around £45 the head cleaner is around £12.

If your happy with the printer and have cartridges for your current one I would replace the print head, but I agree with you its starting to get towards half the cost of a new printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I guess I'll have to start "Shopping" Around!
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Unless you have any follow up questions, I would appreciate if you can rate the service received so I may close the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been very helpful but I guess I will not know for sure if the problem is solved until I get a new printer head.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

If the fault isnt cleared by a new print head you can respond back and happy to arrange a refund as the issue wasnt resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating, we have a 30 day money back guarantee should you still have issues, but I am confident this will resolve your problem.