Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I upgraded my BT broadband to Infinity. Since then my

Customer Question

I upgraded my BT broadband to Infinity. Since then my chromebook has not worked.
Whenever I try to connect and key in the password/key I get "DHCP look-up failed".
Can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please remove the power to the Chromebook

Then hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power, turn it on and tell me how it now functions please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did what you said. The screen is now showing Select your language, US keyboard, ( I will change this to UK after I have got the ok from you). On the bottom right of the screen I have the time, next to that the wireless icon with an "x" in it and the state of the battery.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, choose UK, then click on the wireless symbol and connect to your wireless network.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked the icon. After a few moments it found my wireless network name. I entered the password/key and after about 45 seconds it again came up with "DHCP look-up failed".
Like before!
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, can you power off the wifi modem, wait 5 minutes, power off the Chrome book.

Then power on the modem, wait 5 minutes, power on the Chromebook and tell me if you can then connect please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am now doing what you say. We will not be able to contact (all will be switched off!) I will then switch on and let you know what happened.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi! I did what you said. Switched everything off, then on again. Tried to connect. Exactly the same thing again.
"DHCP look up failed"
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

What is the make and model of your wifi router?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
BTHub6-C3FZ
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

On the back of it is a reset button, press and hold it for 10 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, restart the chromebook and tell me if it now connects please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doing that now. That will completely disconnect so we will be will cut off. When done will again contact you. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Did what you said. Router (BT calls it a hub!). Switched off by pressing factory reset hole and on again after a couple of minutes. Usual thing, steady green light, then flashing orange and eventually steady blue light showing connected.
Switched on chrome-book, tried again to connect to my network. Exactly same result as before. DHCP etc.
BTW. My name is Samuel
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Thanks Samuel

We will need to do a factory reset of the Chromebook. This will remove everything from it and return it to new, so any apps you installed ect you need to install again. This is not something we can avoid

To do the reset

1. Sign out of your Chromebook.
  2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R.
  3. Click Restart to restart your Chromebook.
  4. In the box that appears, click Reset and sign in with your Google Account.
    Note: The account you sign in with after you reset your Chromebook will be the owner account.
  5. Follow the instructions in the box.
  6. Once you've set up your Chromebook, check if the problem is fixed.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am (was) not signed in. It had had a powerwash and was back in "from factory" mode. However, I followed your instructions which resulted in another "powerwash" There is no "Restart" or "Reset" on my screen. It came on by itself and is showing exactly as previously described. I can't sign in because it won't connect. The only display I have is the "Join Wi-Fi network" dialog box in the middle of the screen. On the bottom right is the "switch off" icon and on the bottom right just the time, the wi-fi triangular icon, the state of the battery and the country (UK). NOTHING else.
The instructions in the QSG all assume that there is a internet connection.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, mistake. The switch off icon is on the bottom left (obviously:-))
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, and still the same error when connecting correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
DHCP look-up failed.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Is anything else connecting over wifi to the BT Hub?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I am doing all this on my desktop PC which is connected by wire (Ethernet).
The only wireless device I own is the chrome book under discussion. I do not own a smartphone or similar.
I should perhaps mention that I was for many years with BT broadband (Hub4) and the chromebook worked perfectly. All this trouble only started since I upgraded to BT Infinity. Does this help?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, then the only cause left is a fault BT hub, if the Chromebook worked before it it's the only cause left.

You will need to call BT on 0800(###) ###-####and explain to them what we have done, and have them replace the hub.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I have already had long conversations with BT on that number and we went through a variety of procedures (that took longer than this has done!). All with the same result. They told me that all is ok on their end and any fault is in my chromebook.
Indeed it was on their technician's advice that I contacted you (not you personally of course! I mean chromebook help!).
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Understood, but the Chromebook worked fine on the other router correct? And we reinstalled all the software

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I'm not much of a computer buff. What do you recommend I do now?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

You only have the following options

Either get another device and see if that connects to the Hub, if not, then you know the hub is faulty and they will have to replace it.

If it does connect you know the chromebook is at fault and they would need to be replaced.

Or alternatively try to connect the chromebook to someone else's network and see if it does to prove which of the two.

But considering it only started with this new hub, it would be a huge coincidence for it to be the Chromebook.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. It seems we will have to leave it at that for now. I will try out what you suggest.
Many thanks for your help. Kindest regards etc.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Your welcome, if you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit so I am credited

Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer