JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Can anyone advise on an Acer digital camera which is just

can anyone advise on an Acer digital camera which is just dead?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Can you advise on the model of Acer camera and if its completely dead or if it shows any sign of life?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cp 8531 no sign of life.It is approx 8 years old but has hardly been used
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't find the adaptor to charge it up at the moment!
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

If you cant recall any obvious damage to it (being dropped or submerged in water), its most likely the battery has been depleted. A replacement battery would be around £10 from somewhere such as here.

If you have a multi meter, you can test the voltage of the battery, touching on the + and - terminals, it should be around 4 volts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
don.t have a multimeter but the battery is a new battery!
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

If you confident its a new battery, it may just need charged.

A new charger can be found on ebay here for around £8 including delivery.

In most camera faults I see, you normally see a flashing light to the left of the view finder, or some life in the camera, its unusual for the camera to be completely dead and the fault not to lie with either the battery, or the charging of the battery.

Its also (though obvious) worth double checking you are inserting the battery in correctly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I will try charging it again,once I find the adaptor! I am sure it is a new battery however, Thanks for your help anyway but I have tried what you have suggested several times and there is just not a peep from the camera. May just have to get a new camera,but I like this one!
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

If you find the power adaptor which plugs into the side of the camera, regardless of the state of the battery, the light to the left of the view finder should come on to show there is power (and its charging the battery). If it doesnt, this is a clear sign there is a significant fault with the camera and would be uneconomical to repair. That said I am hopeful a 30 minute charge of the battery will bring it back to life.

James

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks again. I need tofind my adaptor which allows 2 pins to be plugged into 3 if you know what I mean. Yes The battery is in the right way round etc.Thanks again Irene X
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

No problem Irene, I await to hear back from you.

I assume your talking about a travel adaptor so you can plug a European or US 2 pin plug into the wall?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's right,should have looked it out before i asked my question! How can I get back to you at another time?
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Before closing down this session, check you have received an e-mail from Just Answer, you should have a few, it normally sends a e-mail time time I reply. Within the e-mail there will be a link you can click.

Alternatively you can just goto justanswer.co.uk, login using your e-mail address and password ***** setup, and then select "my questions" from the top and you can get back to this window.

James

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,great. I'll let you know how I get on. Thank you for your time! I have another question about smart tv's but that can wait just now!
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

No problem, enjoy the rest of your evening Irene

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you too! bye!