Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S730 camera (7.2 mega pixels)

Hi there
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S730 camera (7.2 mega pixels) which has stopped working - the power doesn't come on at all. I have repeatedly put new batteries in but still no joy. It has been on the blink for a while - sometimes the power comes on and sometimes it doesn't. Is there anywhere I could send it to have it mended? I hate throwing things away if they can be repaired!
Thanks,
Lindsey
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on.

Tell me please if it now starts

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing happening. When you say shutter button do you mean the one you press to take pictures? I did that one, waited 5 mins etc. Nothing. Then I did the same with the tiny power button. I'm wondering if the power button has become permanently depressed, as it doesn't seem to be rising up above the surface as much as it used to... or I could be imagining this.... can I send you the camera by post for you to look at?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes that is correct.

But the button is only a contact, no spring so it cannot get stuck in on this model.

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this is the only cause left for this

The repairs for this camera (unless it is under warranty) exceed the value of a replacement, it is not feasible to replace these once the warranty has exceeded.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to hear that it's a fault that would cost more than a replacement. I suppose I am considered rather odd by most people's standards as sometimes I WILL pay more than the value of replacing an item, in order to get it repaired, simply because I hate putting things into landfill and causing more pollution. Have you got any idea how much it would cost to replace the internal mainboard (including labour) so I can make a fully informed decision about whether to chuck the camera not? Thanks so much.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Of course! and I understand the logic

The mainboard is about £35 and labor around £50, with a new one being £60

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks for that info. I shall think about it. If I decide to get it repaired, could I send it to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

no sorry we do not do physical repairs, you would need to take it to a local computer repairer.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Richard, the answers you have given are 5-star and I will rate you as such. Just a shame that your company couldn't physically take on repairs (but then I guess you wouldn't have time to be answering online as well). Cheers.