Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My DMR-EZ45VEBS DVD-Combo has developed two faults: 1) The

My DMR-EZ45VEBS DVD-Combo has developed two faults:
1) The menu display shows BAD SIGNAL or NO SIGNAL no TV picture and very poor or non-existent sound. This fault has appeared suddenly and without warning during the past 24 hours. There were no electrical occurrences (such as lightning or industrial 'noise' on the mains), as far as I can tell; and two other Panasonic DVD-Combos in this house (a DMR-EX95VEBS and a DMR-EX98VEBK) both work perfectly. Swapping the aerial coax cable to this unit for a known-good (metered) substitute had no effect on the problem; the SIGNAL CONDITION display shows SIGNAL STRENGTH of 80% on the bargraph, but shows RED (most of the time), ORANGE (periodically) and GREEN (momentarily, once in a while) on the SIGNAL QUALITY bargraph;
2) The Functions menu has a long-standing problem, which allows me to select SETUP, but then immediately drops out and resets itself. When I eventually manage to trick it into behaving itself (by operating the 'OK' and right-navigation buttons on the handset), I find that Auto-Setup Restart has no effect on the problem above, and that neither does System Update (the unit declares itself to be up-to-date after a few minutes' pause for thought.
Can you help or advise me, please? I've owned this unit for about 8 years, and it's been perfectly reliable in all ways up until now, and a pleasure to use.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me,
Philip
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question Philip, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the unit (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the player, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No change on the Setup menu behaviour, a solid No Signal on the programmes. (I left it off for 20 minutes.)
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, I would like you please to do a reset of the entire unit, which will return it to new, reinstalling the firmware.

To do this, go to functions, to others, setup, initialize, Shipping Conditions.

Let this complete and when it has, set up the unit again and tell me if it now functions correctly please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It reset to a white screen - I attempted Auto-Setup Restart - the unit ran through the channels and Auto-Setup screens, and then reported 'no channels found'.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for that info - can I return it to a Panasonic repair facility, and do you hae a link I could follow please?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

yes, you can use the service locator on my link below Philip, to find the one closest to you

http://panasonic.eu/ServiceCenter/en_GB/index_uk.html

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PS - the Setup menu now works properly again! Also - 'will do' on the rating stars.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, that was caused by the firmware then, which is why it now works.

But if you know the antenna is working and still no signal it is the tuner on the mainboard, requiring the mainboard to be replaced unfortunately.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it - thanks.