Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have dropped my Sony Xperia and the screen is smashed. I

Hello, I have dropped my Sony Xperia and the screen is smashed. I therefore cannot access the info on the phone. Apparently this is because the Sony has a 'cold screen'?
There are photos and important numbers I need to get off the phone. How can I do this please?
Many Thanks
Lisa
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there Lisa and welcome

It will depend on if the phone is locked or not, if it can then be accessed.

How did you try to access the info on the phone? Or you have not tried yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The phone will be on autolock. I tried to access but as the screen is smashed I was unable to sue the screen to scroll or anything
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, we see if the data is also locked.

Connect it to your computer via the data cable.

Does windows then detect the phone?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am just charging the battery a little bit as it is only on 1%, I will then connect it to my laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hey can't find the cable to connect to laptop....having a meeting now until late afternoon...are you available to help this eve or would tomorrow morning be better? Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

I will be here till 7pm, then we can continue tomorrow, either is ok

Once connected though, if windows detects it, click on it and you can see if you can then access the files

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi...I have done the phone to pc thing....but I cannot unlock the screen as the screen isn't working?? Ideas please??
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

There is no other option sorry, the only way is to get the screen repaired so that you can unlock it.

It is the whole reason for the lock, to protect the data on the phone.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mmmm....The new screen is more than the phone is worth...there must be another way....I will contact SOny directly. Thanks