Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Y MG 4250 sceen says paper jam after switch on. I can find

y MG 4250 sceen says paper jam after switch on. I can find no paper inside having followed the on screen manual instructions
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

If there is a blockage in the paper feed system, the printer will be unable to feed in any fresh paper and will "think" there is no paper in the paper tray.

Did any sheets of paper recently get stuck inside the machine? If so, there may be a small fragment of paper still stuck inside it which is preventing any fresh sheets of paper from getting fed in.

Have a look and check for any obvious blockages or small pieces of paper that may be causing the jam.

If you can't see anything, then try to remove any obstructions by manually pushing a piece of thin stiff card through the machine, where the paper normally goes through.

Let me know if that helps?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete, I had tried all the obvious things mentioned in the online manual several times before contacting you. I was looking for technical knowhow. What is your next answer?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Have you pushed a piece of thin stiff card all the way through the machine to ensure it is free of blockages?

If so, then the next likely cause of the problem is a faulty paper jam sensor.

You can test the sensor for continuity using a multimeter and replace it once confirmed as faulty.

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Right, where so I find the paper jam sensor on this machine. What would constitute a faulty device when tested? Would the sensor show open circuit if it's faulty? I assume the Canon service centre would sell one - is it easy to fit?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

The paper jam sensor is deep within the machine and will require disassembling the entire printer. It is not an easy fit.

Normally Canon will simply replace a printer with a fault rather than attempt a repair since it is so labour-intensive.

The sensor will show closed circuit if it is faulty since it is permanently activated.