Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Since moving home the supplied remote control will not

Customer Question

Hi since moving home the supplied remote control will not operate my Panasonic ht520 home sound system. I have tried new batteries and even a new remote with no luck. Could it be that the remote needs reprogramming or can the ht520 be reset?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

- What happens if press power button on unit itself?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unit switches on and off normally
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

OK, so the only problem is it don't operate through remote, is this correct?
If so, can you test the remote infrared signal output with digital or cellphone camera?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have changed the batteries and even tried a new replacement remote. Do you know if there is a reset function on either the unit or remote?
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Let me explain, when you press a button on remote, it sends out infrared light signals to unit where an infrared light sensor also known as remote-sensor receives that signals and send it to main controller chip of unit to act.

We need to verify the remote as first thing, please press a button on remote control while watching its front tip through a digital or cellphone front camera, if a white light flashing on remote front tip that means remote is working and remote sensor on unit isn't working to receive that signals, at this point you would need to replace remote sensor to resolve the problem.

Please reply back with the result of remote test through camera.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi the remote control does not seem to be sending any signal from the front although it does light up if you press certain buttons so it's not a battery problem. I must say that I purchased a brand-new remote control and the same thing happened so I got a refund
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Just to clarify, in case of apple phone, please use its front camera to test the remote and I would recommend to test a working remote as well to confirm the test procedure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The remote lights up as expected. I already mentioned that I tried a brand new remote. I hoped it might need reprogramming? Or the HT might have a reset function?
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Panasonic remote that came with sound system doesn't need any programming to operate the sound system and will work directly without any code/ programming.

Since you get flashing light on remote front tip through camera and have already tried another same remote that means it is remote sensor issue which is mounted on front of main unit, a defective remote sensor doesn't receive remote control infrared signals so unit can't be operated though remote control.I'm afraid there is no reset button/ function available for this issue in sound system except to unplug the power cord from wall outlet for few minutes. If problem still persist then you would need to replace remote-sensor in sound system to resolve the problem. Required remote sensor part number is ***** that can be used to search/ google to get price info to order it and soldering work with proper tools and expertise is needed to replace the remote sensor mounted on control button circuit board on front of main unit.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The unit has been disconnected from the power supply many times so for some reason the unit is no longer responding. I will take it in for service.
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

OK, then remote sensor is only suspected part which isn't working and causing the problem. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then will take it in for service.
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

OK, wish you good luck.

If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Shahid, no offence but are you expecting a £20 payment for confirming that my unit needs repair? I get the impression that if rate your timeliness and courtesy you will get paid but I will down £20 please advise
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

There is no way I can put my hands on sound system from here to repair it over internet, I worked with you to diagnose the issue in unit and if you're not satisfied with my efforts then just leave the answer as it is/ don't rate it.