Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My forktruck has an elecronic distributor set up. for some

Customer Question

my forktruck has an elecronic distributor set up. for some reason, each distributor i fit seems to deteriorate after weeks requiring further replacement. the problem starts and is helped by boosting voltage with a charger to above 11 volts (as the voltage drops to 10.5 or so volts at cranking) then after a few days it fails completely. once the truck starts for the first time in the day, it seems ok for the rest. somedays it starts ok, its very up and down! are there conditions/situations upon which electronic distributors can be destroyed after limited usage!!
thanks for reading
dave
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dave,

Are you sure they are going bad?
if you replace it and it runs alright for a short period of time and then starts sputtering again, you've got a problem elsewhere.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Which part of the distributor is getting damaged? If it's the terminals then here's two things you should check first:

1. Are the screw holes in the distributor body damaged? The body is plastic and the screw holes are very, very commonly cracked, stripped, or broken on the Vortec distributors. If they're not both in good shape the cap won't stay on straight and can get damaged. If the screw holes are damaged, you can try to get by with zip ties around the cap, or replace the distributor.

2. Hold the rotor and try to move it sideways in all directions. You should have barely any noticeable movement. If it moves a significant amount, then the upper bushing in the distributor is gone and it's letting the shaft walk all over the place. Time to replace the distributor.

I'd also suggest replacing the plugs, wires, coil and module at the same time to make sure you've got a solid base to start diagnosing from if the distributors really are going bad.

Let me know how you get on.
Pete.