JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

We have a rather old MFC-8820D fax machine which as far as I

We have a rather old MFC-8820D fax machine which as far as I can see has a broken large left hinge assembly which means that it cannot be used. I have checked on a website which sells parts and they say that this is parts numbered LP2403300/CLF6847001/LE8731001 which are now unavailable except possibly through a 'breakers' as it is a common part to break. Can you help please
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

The left hinge parts can be ordered but as the parts are obsolete you will pay a premium.

For example the US website here will dispatch the $12 part to the UK but postage and shipping charges give a total cost of £63.

Generally looking at the age of the unit, I would suggest that this device is beyond economical repair.

James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we thought as much James. It is just that we only now require a copier which will enlarge and this does not seem to be easy to get, unless we can scan and enlarge on the computer and then print.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

I havent heard that before, most MFP can enlarge as part of duplicating (scanning and printing).

For example the xerox one here can do exactly that working at 25% right up to 400% of the size.

Even the cheaper modes such as the one here do it as well.

James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again James
Yes I understand what you mean. I have a small copier/printer/scanner at home which I have found when playing about with it does in fact resize too so I think we had better just dispose of the old fax machine as you said. Thank you for your help.
Joan