Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Unable to sign in to email account

Customer Question

Unable to sign in to email account
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Hi there and welcome Rosemary

First, can you tell me the part of your email address after the @ symbol please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hotmail.com.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

thanks

What is the exact message you get when you try to sign in on my link below?

www.hotmail.com

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am unsure what message you want to know. All I know is one day I tried to get in to my emails and I signed in I received a message stating: ' It looks like someone else might be using your account. To help you- only you get back to***@******.***. We need to verify that its yours'.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Click on my link below

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Then follow the steps to reset your password.

Once done, use this new password ***** sign into your account

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have tried the link you told me to. It is the same one I tried several times before I contacted you. This was the one given on the automated system when I rang. I tried again anyway but the same thing happened. This is what happened:
Question 1. Three options were given. I chose 'I know my password ***** can't sign in'. Pressed Next.Question 2 'How would you like your security code'? Option 1 email. This shows my sister's email address. or Option 2 'I don't have any of these. It then said that if there was no recovery code to press 'No' which I did. I was then asked for a different email address. I do not have one. What am supposed to do? Is there a way I can speak to someone? I have been trying for over two hours between Knowhow helpline and Microsoft to sort out something that is not of my making.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

ok, there is no phone number so not sure exactly what you rang.
Choose forgot password
What do you then see?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I tried that option. The same message came up as mentioned at Question 2 of my previous message.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

thanks, ***** ***** are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Hotmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Microsoft states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Microsoft has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Microsoft, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have not forgotten my password. I now what it is. I do not know what you mean about keeping recovery information up to date.I have no idea what this is or how to go about it. I have never been told anything about this. The first I knew there was a problem was when I could not sign in.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Ok, it is the information you use to be able to recover your account.

This is not valid and it is why you cannot regain access to the account again Rosemary

Else you would be able to reset the password.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am sorry but I still do not know what it means 'the information to use to recover your account'. I have had this one for years without a problem until now.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

when you reset the password, the options you have there are your recovery options

As none of them work, none of them are valid, you need to provide for example a valid phone number when you setup the account

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I set up the account in 2004 and have moved since then so have a different phone number. Does that mean that I have lost all the information and emails that I had on my files?
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

that is correct, it is ciritcal that whenever you change your personal information such as phone numbers, you first update your account, as this is the only way to get back in when you are in a situation such as this. It is the only lifeline back into your account.

Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.