JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a tv that is connected to the digital transmission

Customer Question

I have a tv that is connected to the digital transmission and is constantly black screening with lost signal message, this loses sound and picture
What can I do?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Are you able to get reception using that TV point with another TV to rule out an aerial faiulre.

Secondly what is the make and model of the TV?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The connection is working and we are getting a picture but on the hd channels the signal quality dips to sometimes below 10% and during the drop the black screen is shown and the message lost signal appears. The make is Panasonic and model is TX-40DX600B. I would be happy to accept the signal reducing in quality but no black screening as this is really annoying and can happen every few seconds but then other times it could be every few minutes. Then sometimes it doesn't occur for hours. I know it's a strange fault but hopefully you can help me resolve it.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Ian,

What is the signal strength for the HD channels normally (when not at 10%), secondly is this a new fault or something which has just recently started?

You may find that the antenna cable or aerial is starting to degrade, which is causing signal loss. For SD channels there is sufficient error correction but with HD there is less tolerance, and due to 'digital' you dont really get the option to see a pixelated image like you would with the old analogue signals.

Is your TV aerial external?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The signal strength is always 100% it's the signal quality that is dropping. Aerial is external yes. This error has always appeared especially on the pvr that is also panasonic.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

I would start by looking at your aerial, see if you can induce the fault as it may be a lose wire.

If you remove the booster\amp what is the signal strength?

The fact its occurring on two tuners rules out a local hardware fault to the TV.

I would be inclined to also buy a high gain cable between the wall socket and the TV just to rule out any local RF interference.

James

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have removed the booster and the signal strength is now fluctuating between 99 and 96%
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

I would be inclined to leave it without the booster and see if the fault is more or less frequent.

Let me know how it goes over the next couple of hours

James

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi James
The tv reception has improved after your suggestions but there is still a drop out every now and then. Is there anything else I can do to stop this? The problem would not be so bad if the sound remained even if picture was lost but it is annoying that the sound stops and you miss what is happening on the programme.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

The only other things I can suggest is look at the cable run, keep the antenna cable from any other wires, as it may be picking up interference.

Secondly look to buy a premium aerial cable, which goes between the wall socket and the TV, you can often pick these up for about £5 off ebay, the retail price is around £10.

Failing that its then a case of replacing the outside aerial, for a high gain one, and potentially replacing the cable which goes between the aerial and the wall socket.

Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Ian,

Appreciate if you can log back in and rate the service received using the star rating on the Just Answer page, as this is the only way I can claim payment from Just Answer for assisting you.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ian,Appreciate if you can log back in and rate the service received using the star rating on the Just Answer page, as this is the only way I can claim payment from Just Answer for assisting you.ThanksJames
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Ian,

James