How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pete Your Own Question
Pete, Engineer
Category: Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
Type Your Electronics Question Here...
Pete is online now

I need to replace a generator field load resistor (basically

This answer was rated:

I need to replace a generator field load resistor (basically a coil of resistance wire) on an old car. It is a 12 volt system, the wire uncoiled is approx one metre long with a resistance of 3 ohms. I measured the current from a working system and it was around 1 amp. The broken wire measured 1.11 mm in diameter. Could you advise what type of resistance wire to replace it with and also what gauge? Thank you.
Pete and other Electronics Specialists are ready to help you