carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

There are issues connecting my Samsung UHD TV via ethernet

There are issues connecting my Samsung UHD TV via ethernet at the same time as other ethernet connected devices are on the network. The Samsung TV ethernet connection disrupts the others and the Zyxel router cannot be pinged leading to no ethernet connectivity. When the TV is connected on its own via ethernet everything works OK. Wifi is unaffected on all devices. Substantial diagnostic testing by Zyxel using two different routers, multiple connections and cables have conclusively shown that is the TV eternet connection which is the problem here. For now I have switched the TV connection over to Wifi where there are no issues. I would however prefer to use a wired connection but can't. Please note that part of my broadband content (but not all) is delivered vis a Sky Q box. The other content is through the onboard Samsung TV apps and not through the Sky Q box. Any ideas please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
typo "via a Sky Q box" - I have tried Samsung support but they are hopeless.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. The first thing I would suggest is to check the TV firmware is up to date. Have you tried a static IP address for the tv.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Firmware for TV up to date. (It auto updates)
Firmware for router up to date.
Static IP addresses selected for TV and indeed all my internet connected peripherals.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer to keep the cost to £37 please Carl but thanks anyway (re call).
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

Sorry the phone call request is automated by just answer.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

What happens when the TV is connected using an Ethernet cable. How does it affect the other devices?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The TV on Ethernet on its own is fine but if other devices are connected by Ethernet on the network then ALL the Ethernet connections drop (including the TV). It can't be how the router manages the IP addresses because all of these are static and not in conflict. Wifi connections of any device (including the TV, when selected) are entirely unaffected by these outages.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the TV is not connected via Ethernet, two other devices (computer and laptop) can happily use an Ethernet connection but not if the TV 'joins the party'
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

Could you send me the model number of the router. Do you know if the router has QoS built in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ZYXEL router, model VMG8324-B10A.
Yes QoS is present and enabled
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

Does it make any difference if QoS is disabled?

Does it make any difference if the TV is listed as DMZ in the router and not behind the firewall?

Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

I am thinking it may be worth trying the TV on its on VLAN the router looks like it will support a VLAN but that would take a bit of planning to make sure we get it right. I had a bad experience once with a VLAN in a school and I spent an afternoon putting things right.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Carl .... because I cannot test all these options now (having spent 6 hours on this today already!) it would be very helpful if you could simply list all the possible fixes with brief non technical explanations and I will authorise your payment and test these things when I have time. Is that OK with you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By "non technical" .... I mean just explain what the fix is addressing. My knowledge level is intermediate.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

Thats fine by me.

I would make a backup of the router config first.

I would start by putting in the DMZ this means the TV has direct access to the internet and is not behind a firewall.

I honestly expect this to make no difference but it would be worth a try.

I would then try disabling QoS in case the TV is fighting for all the bandwidth.

Other things to try but these are getting more technical is to put the TV on a VLAN. A virtual LAN is a lan but only certain ports are on it, so the TV would be on its own network with access to the internet but no access to the other devices on the network. The TV would be isolated from everything else.

Another thing to do is to use wireshark to have a look at what data is being transmitted from the TV you will be able to see every thing the TV does on the network ie does it ping the router alot or is it broadcasting its address alot. It would help to confirm what is wrong with the TV it could be the router does not respond quickly and the TV keeps asking the same question so to speak.

Here is a link to the router manual
https://www.manualslib.com/download/615388/Zyxel-Communications-Vmg8324-B10a-Series.html

Info on Vlan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN

I do have somewhere a very good article on Vlans I will try and find it and upload for you.

Wireshark Link
https://www.wireshark.org/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's excellent Carl, thank you ... You may like to comment briefly on my responses below ...I would be nervous about exposing the TV to the internet without a firewall ... for obvious reasons. These days they can hack your electric toothbrush! :-)Is there any downside to disabling QoS?VLAN - I Chromecast quite a lot from my tablet to the TV but that's over Wifi - would that be affected?Same does for my SkyQ minibox .... multiroom wireless connection to our bedroom TV ... possible problems on a VLAN?Wireshark looks interesting. Provided that I could interpet the results!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Chromecast is Bluetooth I think.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
However, it shows on the Network Map so I am not so sure.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

I do agree it is not ideal to expose the TV to the internet without a firewall I feel that if the TV works OK on the wifi it should work OK on the lan so removing the firewall from the TV shouldn't make a difference.

Downside to disabling QoS is the router will not prioritise traffic. If you have qos enabled devices that need more bandwidth are allocated more. If you were streaming you would have more bandwidth available that someone looking at facebook.

Your chrome cast may be affected it depends on how the router uses the vlan it could be that the TV is isolated from the other lan ports but not from the wifi lan and the internet.

The sky q should be ok because the main sky Q box would on the same network as the sky q mini box it would only be the TV that is isolated.

Wireshark is great but in the space of a few seconds you will see hundreds of data packets so you need to use filters so you will only see the TV requests.

The chromecast is wifi

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Carl, I will give all this due consideration. For the moment I am running the TV on Wifi and there is no adverse affect on any other devices. For the time being I will leave things as they are BUT if it starts messing with any other connections again I shall have to revisit this with your suggestions on board. Thank you very much for your help .... with is already 10x more than either my ISP or the rounter manufacturer gave me this afternoon. I like Samsung products but I had to use strong arm tactics this afternoon to get them to deal with this with their own technicians. First off they lied and denied flat out twice that they offered this service to customers. Only with relentless persistance from me did they give me a ticket and escalate this "in house." They couldn't promise me "when" they would deal with this so I contacted you. Unbelievable! Anyway, we can close this for now and when prompted I will authorise the payment. Thank you for your help. Good night! (if you in the UK)!
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 month ago.

If you need any more help feel free to contact me.

Good Night I am in the UK in the midlands.