Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Epson WF-2530 All-in-One Printer stopped working. Unusual

Customer Question

My Epson WF-2530 All-in-One Printer stopped working. Unusual symptoms. On/Off light, Network light and doc feeder (ADF) light are on and flashing. Display reads: Printer Error ... See your documentation. What does this mean? There is nothing like this described in User Manual.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have switched it off at 15.59hrs. You'll hear from me again in 10 minutes.
Regards,
Mike
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Exactly the same as I described before. Printer made an attempt to run a scanner bar but gave up after about 10 seconds and the 3 lights came on together flashing, Printer Error ..... came back on screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, I'll try that. But I don't think it will produce a result. There isn't much I can't do around printers and I have more efficient stuff for cleaning print-heads than alcohol or water. The message (See your documentation ...) is unusual. Looks like a message for a service engineer, not User.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no means of bringing the carriage with ink cartridges to the loading position. All buttons are in-active and produce a 'beep' when pressed. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Disconnect the power and you can then move it by hand

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Disconnect power a manually move into position?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right! You gave the same answer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No go. With power off, and using a small screwdriver to assist with leverage, I can move it about 1cm total travel, left to right and back. At each end is a solid stop. Maybe only 8mm.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, we know the issue now

It is the internal drive motor that has faulted, this confirms it I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This printer is a good 12 months out of warranty period, i.e. about two years old. Not economical to send it anywhere but I'll have a go at repairing it myself. Any hints on how to remove the motor?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

No it is not sorry, to just get the part you would have to source it and the costs would exceed the value of the printer with the price they are on now.

Removing the motor is a total break down of the printer, as the motor sits under the print head.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Richard, you did your best. I must admit I didn't expect you to be a magician but was just curious to see if you knew some tricks I may have missed.We did find the fault but didn't fix the printer. I suppose you would have rated 4/5 stars had we done so.
Through no fault of your own it is going to have to be only 2.With regards,
Mike
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Why did you only me 2 stars? As you say I cannot do Magic, I went though all the causes and we got to the problem.

For this you rated my service as poor to you, indicating I was rude and incorrect.

How was I in any way this? Please reply as I now have an offical complaint against me from you for this, with no idea why apart from its not my fault?

My profile here is important to me, and it is dissapointing when someone decides to provide such a bad rating without the effort of a justification. I put in the time and effort to go through all the causes for your problem and rule these out, but I feel the same is not done back, and all I have now to show for this is a black mark and a complaint. I do not even receive a payment for my work now. I do not feel that is how people should be treated. Just not right.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear *****,
Please don't get upset. I have mistakenly rated the result, not you. Shall we go back to the problem and see if we can jointly earn 5 Stars fir the result as well?Now, how many motors are there in an All-in-One printer? The main motor is surely the one that has to move the print-head from side to side, up and down, probably feeds the paper through a simple gearbox and maybe even the scanner bar via gear+belt arrangement. But what about the ADF (auto doc feeder)? There has to be another motor or another drive transfer.
The main motor is not dead (or jammed) as I have succeeded in removing the ink cartridges by switching ON and OFF at the mains switch with the top half of the printer RAISED. Every time one presses the standby switch, the cartridge cradle actually moved normally left / right while printer is checking the various functions. So the main motor works! Then, as it begins to test the scanner drive and, importantly, the ADF function everything stops, Printer error ... message goes up and lights start to flash (about once/sec.). Significantly, ADF light is flashing and that happens when the ADF drive and Scanner bar drive test begins. If there is a jam anywhere, it's got to be with the toothed belt drive to the ADF (or Scanner bar, if they are linked).
Unless there is a separate, slower motor for these two functions.Shall we take it up from here and stay friends?With regards,
Mike
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll clean the print-head in the meantime, as per your instructions. Can't hurt?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

The motor needs to work under load, so it is a good chance it will not once a load is on it again, but clean the printhead then put it back and see how it works please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Richard,
You'll be glad to hear that the Epson WF-2530 printer is now working correctly. Printing and scanning functions were checked, both by putting a single document on the glass as well as through the ADF. Hard to say whether it was the cleaning of print-head (isopropanol + propylene + glycol + ether + Catonic Surfactant + heptonate) but I worked a good hour on transfer gears, turning them by hand in both directions till sharp mechanical clicking stopped. I guess we'll never know what caused the stoppage but one thing is for sure - that motor wasn't dead.I'm a mechanical engineer and an automatic gearbox specialist, you were the electrical side of the equation. A good team!
5 Stars for sure.With regards,
Mike
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you Mike and yes, great teamwork indeed.