JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

But live abroad, i bought a J7 Edge on eBay and flew out to

HI. I'm British but live abroad, i bought a J7 Edge on eBay and flew out to give it as a present to my girlfriend. Problem is, and the seller says he didn't know, the phone is Know Customised, in settings/About the device/Software Info/Knox Customisation it says "your device is customised for Samsung Electronics UK
I've tried everything to reset but it won't let me ...can you help?
Barry
Trinidad
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Hi Trinidad,

What specifically are you trying to configure on the phone, if the phone has been customised at the manufacture rather than by the user there is very little you can do as it requires being re-flashed with a new OS, and that would need to be done using special software, but could find a local phone store who can do this for you.

Once I know what your trying to setup I can better advise if this can be done without re-flashing the software.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The local mobile services here are useless, i tried calling a so-called samsung technician and he couldn't help.
I'm simply trying to reset the device so my girlfriend can add apps like whatsapp and Fb etc, i guess there's several apps she would like, i can't even do that.
It would be great to reset it but i'm guessing thats out of the question according to your advice above.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Hi Barry,

I hadnt realised I was connected to a UK mobile, if you do need to speak further and have a local mobile or landline let me know the number and I will call.

James

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you can try a whatsapp call to 1(###) ###-####
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

I am afraid I dont have access to whatsapp but happy to give your landline a call.

Try and do a factory request holding down the power, home and volume down and let me know the exact wording.

You were asking about flashing the device yourself, there is a good video here you can try as a last resort before taking it to a shop in the UK, but my guess is you wont be able to get into download mode if you cant factory reset.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok.
The rest area Factory Data Reset is greyed out so i can't use that. I just tried again holding down the appropriate buttons but its gone into Safe Mode. It did once upon a time go to a different screen saying something like Data rest not allowed or something.
I''l try the video link you sent.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Ok, safe mode occurs when it fails to boot 2 or 3 times in a row.

After a successful boot it shouldnt reoccur, before downloading the flash for the phone do a reset again but this time press the volume up button (follow the instructions from 2.25 minutes into the video first), as if you cant get it into download mode you cant flash it and the first part of the video is redundant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
was just about to say I remember following a similar video to d/l Odin,the problem was i couldn't get into download mode otherwise i think i might have solved it.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

If you have that problem try switching the phone off, then hold down power, volume up and volume down with the USB cable attached to a PC and let me know what error you get.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

What the store will do is access the root of the phone, the store will have access to more expensive apps to do this, but one option you could try is use the software here, but that requires you enabling debugging within the phone (which I would guess is disabled).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i've got the root menu by holding up/home/off button
when i select Wipe data/factory reset it the reboots the phone i don't get the menu to select yes to wipe etc
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Ok, is there an option to upgrade?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only line like that is:
Apply update from ADB
Apply update from SD card
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

You want ADB (Android Debug Bridge) which will be the software you download in the video, so this sounds very promising, and that the video may be worth trying end to end.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will the video explain how? would i use a usb cable or something to transfer things
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is it MAC compatible
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Ah sorry didnt ask if it was a mac :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
actually my gf has windows laptop
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Great go to the link here to download the software.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to d/l then transfer to her laptop.
thanks i'll give it a go
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Let me know how you get on, this is really last chance saloon other than going to a store which has access to more professional software.

You will need to register on the site to download the firmware, once you have the downloaded firmware download Odin which is linked on the instructions on the page below the download button, then its just a case of connecting the phone via USB to the PC running Odin, and then select the ADB option on the phone and the phone should appear on the Odin devices window.