Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Canon Printer MG5350 - scanner goes through the motions but

Canon Printer MG5350 - scanner goes through the motions but no light appears and scanning doesn't take place. New bulb?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Stilll nothing - the scanner shows it is functioning on the screen but NO light comes on, no noise and no scan
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

How is it connecting to the computer? Via USB or Wireless?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to telephone
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last question I sent you please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought it was USB but the wireless symbol is lit
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Is there a cable comming from the Printer to the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
absolutely
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

meaning yes there is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is - the printing and copying functions are both working properly - just the scanner not working. Have recently updated to Windows 10 - would that have made a difference?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Updating would not effect it, it is compatable.

Can you connect the printer to a different USB port on the computer and tell me if it then scans please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tried two different ones - still nothing -
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

It is the internal scanning unit that has faulted. The lights are LED you cannot change, but it is the unit that controls this

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Richard - I thought that would be the outcome!! Printer out of guarantee so probably cheaper to buy a new one!!Thanks for your help