JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Thorens TD110 turntable suddenly not producing sound. The

Thorens TD110 turntable suddenly not producing sound.
The motor etc is working.
If I touch the inputs on the amp I get an ok hum.
If I remove the arm and cartridge I get no sound when I touch any of the four connecting pins.
The acoustic cable is hardwired into the turntable so I can't tell if that's the problem.
Is this repairable??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Have you attached a set of ear phones to the output of the turntable to see if your getting any audio output?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only output from the turntable is the cable to the amp. No headphone output.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll keep to text, as I'm not optimistic about being able to fix it!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry this has caused you so much trouble. I have looked up the Thorens spec, and the tone arm looks very complicated, with lots of warnings about needing to use original parts. Would you expect something like that to fail, admittedly after forty years of careful use?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

If you dont have a phono adapter to connect your headphone to the output, have you tried swapping the input on the amp just to rule out an amp issue?

Secondly does the needle look in good shape, as this is often the cause of such a fault?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've swapped the input on the amp with no success.
Because the connectors from the cartridge wand on the tonearm were silent when I touched them, I assumed the problem was in the tonearm. The cartridge 'looks' ok, but perhaps it's worth buying a new one - they can be pricey.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Its vary rare for there to be a fault in the armature, I would check the cartridge is at fault you can do this by turning the turntable and amp on, turn the volume up then short the pins where the cartridge would fit, if you get a buzz this demonstrates its the cartridge if you dont its the internal pre amp circuit.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is what I did (touching the connecting pins) and apparently no response. I'll check with the volume turned up further, but yes, that implies the circuit. Maybe it all just got a bit 'dry' from under-use recently. So a technician might be able to replace a capacitor or something, do you think?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to clarify, my underlying question is simply: does it sound as if it's worth trying to find someone to repair it, or is it almost certainly terminal in practice?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I would say the cost of repair would be around £80, so probably not economical to repair.

That said it could be repaired if you find a local TV and Audio engineer, however most local firms replace modules rather than fault find at a component level.

So yes it could be repaired but its probably cheaper to look to buy a replacement.