Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I want to install an external drive to my new Samsung TV

I want to install an external drive to my new Samsung TV "The Frame". I see that Western Digital make "WD My Passport AVTV" and "WD My Book AVTV" drives that are made specifically dedicated for TV's. I'm trying to figure out which is better, the My Passport or the My Book. I presume the My Passport gets its power from the back of the 'One Connect' box that is connected to The Frame TV. There's a special USB slot with 5V 1A power. Or there is the My Book with its own transformer. Any help would be really appreciated as I just can't seem to find any information on this. Many thanks for your help. Kind Regards, Peter
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

Hi there Peter and welcome

It is always best to use a drive with it's own power supply, as it ensure it receives the correct power at all time. If you get too many connected devices on the TV, it can lessen the output creating issues.

I would advise you go with the MyBook that has its own power supply, this will be the best solution for you Peter.

Is there any additional information you would like?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Many thanks Richard, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Kind Regards, Peter