JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a Panasonic BTT885 home cinema system. I switch it

I have a Panasonic BTT885 home cinema system. I switch it on , it says “hello” and then “bye” and switches off !! My local Panasonic repair shop says I need to replace dvd unit within machine. How can this be true ?
Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: As I said , it is a Panasonic SC-BTT855 surround sound cinema system. It is approximately 2 Year’s old.
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: On and off for a year. I was told by the retailer to switch unit off at the mains , hold down on button on machine for 20 seconds then switch on mains. Wait 20 seconds then hold down on button again for another 20 seconds and then release. This works sometimes but not always !
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have heard through AV forums that this has been a problem with many customers and so Panasonic stopped making it !!

I wouldnt believe everything you read on forums.

A model is only made for around 6 months then sold for 6 months after manufacture cease product, by major retailers, due to the speed technology moves on.

Your fault suggests a faulty main board not a faulty DVD drive, you can prove this by opening the unit and disconnecting the cable going to the drive and then starting up the player.

I would imagine your looking at around £150 for repair, I would suggest verifying what is shown on the display when you start it up without the disc drive connected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for that. Why does machine play some blurays but not others ?

Are they all of the same region?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Region 2

So the unit is switching on and off, but in some instances it stays on and others it will start up but only play selective discs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When certain blurays are inserted it says not recognised. It’s fine with ordinary dvd’s.

This is a new fault, in that the discs were previously working in the player?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No , these discs have never worked on the player. Other blurays are no problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correction, these blurays sometimes work if you try and try again !

I believe your looking at two unconnected faults.

The first is likely to be related to the disc drive not reading the disc properly, which may well be a manufacture design fault but unlikely, and the fix would be to fit a new drive. With regard to it not starting, I believe this to be a faulty PCB.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks very much. Very helpful.

No problem, do let me know if you have any further questions.