Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have an old Sony trinitron TV ( late nineties or more

I have an old Sony trinitron TV ( late nineties or more likely early noughties) that still has an excellent picture. However it has recently started to occasionally turn itself off and the red ‘standby light’ next to the on/off button on the set flashes red as opposed to the usual constant red light when the set is switched off using the remote control ( but still on standby) When this happens and I use the remote control to switch it back on, the picture is fine but sometimes after a while it switches itself off again - other times it doesn’t switch off again ( possibly when I leave it turned off for longer before switching the set back on again, however the set doesn’t seem to be overheated at the back or top that I can make out ) Any ideas as to the cause and possible repair? Many thanks.

Hello Angela, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.
- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Shahid,
Thanks for your reply and sorry I haven’t been able to get back to you with the info you requested until now. The TV weighs a ton so I had to wait for help in moving it so I could look for the serial no on the back of the set. Here it is: KV28 FX6OU. Also on the front of the set, on the set control panel, it says ‘Advanced 100 Hz Digital Plus Nicam’.
Hope that helps.
Angela.

Thanks Angela for TV model number info. The red power light would be blinking at a specific number of times presenting an error code.

- How many times the red light flashes, pauses and repeats the same blinking pattern?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One other thing, the tv had been moved down a couple of flights of stairs and I had found the remote that goes with the set and put new batteries a few days before this fault started. I think I may have pressed some of the buttons on the remote. The tv remote doesn’t usually get used with this set as it is connected to a sky HD plus box, so I have always just used the sky remote. Not sure if this has a bearing on the fault but I wonder..

NO, the remote and battery replacement has nothing to do with the issue on TV.

Flashing red light is a sign of trouble in TV.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Shahid,
I recall it flashing twice and pausing then repeating. I’m pretty sure that was the pattern I noticed.

Thanks for the info, I need little bit time to diagnose the issue after looking into related manual, is it OK if I reply after 5-6 hours?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Shahid,
I’m still waiting for your reply as you said you would reply in a matter of hours on the 12th. It’s now Friday the 15th and no reply from you so far. Angela.

Hi Angela, sorry for delayed reply, I forgot it, apologies.

2x blinking power light on this TV indicates problem overcurrent that means Horizontal Out transistor (Q6803/6804) is shorted on D Board or Linearity FET (Q6806) is shorted on D Board or IC6604 Power IC is shorted on D Board and it needs detailed troubleshooting inside TV with multimeter to check several components and volts to sort out bad part to get it replaced that needs good soldering work with proper tools and expertise as well.

This kind of repair may cost good money and you can buy a 32 inch LCD in less amount nowadays so in my opinion, you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending time and money on this old 28 inch TV. I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website.