Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Sony Bravia tv, approximately 5 years old.

Recently, I had a flashing red light on the tv where it is normally static, and when I attempted to turn it on the light went green and the HDMI status appeared in the top left corner of the TV. Then it went off completely.
I replaced the fuse in the plug and the tv came back to life for a couple of days, but has since stopped working again.
The Virgin media engineer (who I had called out originally thinking it was a problem with my Virgin connection) suggested it may be the power module??
Any thoughts please as I don't want to buy another tv if a simple repair or replacement part is needed.
Many thanks, Annette

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Nothing has happened. No lights on the tv at all.
Is it worth replacing the fuse again?

Has the fuse blown again?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I’m not sure how I would know, it’s just the tv responded last time to it being replaced

Ok, but now you see no standby light showing at all on the TV, is this correct?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
there is no standby light

Ok, replace the fuse in the plug please and tell me what then happens

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I’ve just replaced the 10amp fuse in the tv plug and nothing has happened - no standby light on

It is the internal power board that has faulted, this now confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for your help Richard Just one last question please
The warranty has expired, in your opinion is it worth taking it for this to be repaired (ie what would be a rough cost for parts and labour) or should I invest the money in a new one?

I believe it will be Annette, you are looking about 150 for the repairs, it is just a switch of the power board and it would then work for you

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help and advice Richard, I will have a look for local TV engineers and give them a call. (Although it will be hard to choose the best one)!
I will certainly give you a good rating for your service!
Best wishes,
Annette

Thank you Annette and all the best!