Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Many, but not all, of sent emails held in a sent folder have

Customer Question

Many, but not all, of sent emails held in a sent folder have had their contents wiped out and are now blank. How can I restore them?
Category: Email
Expert:  HunterOwens replied 3 years ago.

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today. This problem can happen on occassion. Please try the following:

1. Open Mail and click on the Mailbox option from the upper menubar.
2. Click on Rebuild at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. Give it a bit of time to complete.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done as you say but so far nothing has happened. How long should I wait to see any result?

Hi Michael,

If that method works, the results are pretty instant. Try the following:

1. Quit Apple Mail.
2. Open Finder.
3. Click Go in the upper menu bar and click Go To Folder from the drop-down.
4. Type in ~/Library/Mail/ and look for a file called Envelope Index within the sub-folders. It will be in there somewhere, likely within the MailData folder.
5. Delete the Envelope Index file.
6. Launch Mail. Allow it to import your email.

Otherwise, if your email service provider (iClould, Gmail, MSN, etc.) has a webmail service I would suggest logging in there and seeing if the Sent messages appear in that Sent folder.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I typed in what you suggest but nothing comes up. I have looked in Library file and there is no Mail file or folder.

Who is your email service provider? If you login to their Webmail client do the Sent Messages appear there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Plusnet is my ISP but I do not use their email, I use gmail. I have recently cleaned out the gmail account so some of the old emails are not there.

If you went into Gmail.com and deleted some emails, it seems very likely that by doing so they also got cleared out from your Mail app.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It isn't that the emails have been wiped out, they still appear in the file when it is opened from the left hand Mailboxes column. When opened from the right hand pane there is nothing in the content.

Correct. I'm thinking that they're listed because they were originally on the Gmail server and thus Mail app accessed them and put them in your list of messages. However, when you click on them now, Mail app can't access the messages contents on the Gmail server because they've been deleted from the server.

Does that explanation make sense to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really because older emails are still intact and there is still a file entry in the left hand window.

Hi Michael,

Since I am unable to provide you with a solution to your problem, I will opt-out of this question to let another expert with more expertise in this area assist you.

I apologize for the inconvenience,

Hunter
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

If you forward the email to yourself, does it still appear blank?

Please let me know