Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Using Mozilla. I can not connect to a server. States error

Using Mozilla. I can not connect to a server. States error fetching messages. Can not move send or store e mails.
Thanks Sean
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you referring to Mozilla Thunderbird to send and receive emails? Or Mozilla Firefox to browse the internet?

Also, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using Mozilla Thunderbird. I think I am using windows XP.

Thanks Sean

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing back. What are the email accounts used in your Thunderbird (TB in short)? @Hotmail.com? @gmail.com? or others?

Also, are you saying that now that you have this problem, you can no longer send or receive emails?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jess.

The accounts [email protected] which is working

the other account [email protected] This is not working. I store all my files in the account and these are still here. I can not send or transfer e mails into this account.

Thanks Sean

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Sean,

I am sorry but I cannot see the email addresses that you posted. Our system displayed them to me [email protected] for policy reasons (we are not allowed to share emails).

Can you please post only the parts with the @ sign? Like @gmail.com?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jess

@thelyndoncompany.com

@btinternet.com

With regards XXXXX XXXXX it is saying that they have another customer with my e mail address. I think it me the last time I used you.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sean,

Thank you for that confirmation. So the email ending with @thelyndoncompany.com is working, no problem with it, and that only the one ending with @btinternet.com that is giving you headache.

Now, is this @btinternet.com account a paid email account from BT Internet / Yahoo? Have you tried to access this account using a web browser like Firefox or Chrome to test if you are still able to access the @btinternet.com email account?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jess,

I have been into the BT account using Yahoo route and it still works. it is just not working on the Mozilla platform.

Thanks Sean

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. Are all of your emails that are NOW in your current TB still stored in your @btinternet.com webmail account? (That is accessing the email using the web browser, not TB)

I am asking this because you can try to delete the @btinternet.com account from your TB and perform a cleanup, and then add @btinternet.com back and allow TB to download all emails back.

But you need to first confirm if the emails now in TB are also there in the web mail.

Also, before trying to remove the BT account, if it is an IMAP account, then you are safe since your emails are synced betweeb the server and your TB. So you can remove @btinternet.com from TB and then add it back and all emails will still be available.

If it is setup as POP, then you need to confirm first if all emails are still in the webmail so that deleting @btinternet.com from TB will not remove your emails.

Can you confirm if you are using POP or IMAP in your @btinternet.com?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jess,

I think it is I map account. I am happy for you to go in and review , and do the changes for me. I understand that we are going to closed the NT account on TB to reopen it.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Sean,

I am sorry but I have no remote access permission in this site. You are contacting JustAnswer.com, a pay-for-answer service and we are not affiliated with Yahoo or TB but I and my colleagues can help you with this.

First, please verify if your @btinternet.com account in your TB is IMAP or not. Hee are th steps:

1. Open TB
  2. Click on Tools => Account Settings
  3. In the Account Settings box, in the left side, you shall see the 2 email accounts that you have added to your TB.
  4. Under EACH email account, locate "Server Settings"
  5. When found, simply click on "Server Settings" under your @btinternet.com account and see if it is listed as IMAP or POP

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both are IMap. What do we do next?

Thanks Sean

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Sean,

Thank you for that confirmation. Since your problem email, @btinternet.com, is an IMAP account, it means that the emails you see there in your Thunderbird are also present when you access it in the webmail. This is because they are synced. Email that you delete from your TB will also be removed when you view it in the webmail, and vice versa.

No, to fix this Thunderbird problem, I suggest that you first try to DISABLE all your Add-ons and Extensions since they can be causing this problem that you have now. Remember that this is only disabling them, so you can enable them back at any time.

Here are the steps:
  1. Open TB
  2. Click on Tools => Add-ons
  3. Click on Plugins in the left panel
  4. In the list of Plugins, DISABLE all enabled plugins.
  5. Then click on Extensions
  6. If there are enabled extensions, DISABLE them
  7. Close TB and then open it back
  8. Test if the problem is gone

If the problem with your @btinternet.com still continues, please DELETE the @btinternet.com account.

Here are the steps:

1. Open TB
  2. Click on Tools => Account Settings
  3. In the Account Settings box, locate and click on the @btinternet.com email listed there.
  4. When @btinternet.com email is selected, click on Account Actions button at the bottom, then click on Remove Account
  5. Here is my screen shot:

6. Then allow TB to delete the account
  7. Then close TB
  8. After 3 minutes, open TB back and then ADD the @btinternet.com account back. This is done by going to Tools => Account Settings then click on "Account Actions" and then click "Add Mail Account"
  9. Follow the on screen wizard to add your @btinternet.com account back
  10. When the account is added successfully, all your emails will be restored
  11. Then test if the problem is gone this time.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you the problem continues, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further .

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How to disable plugins?

On extensions they have a disable button.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Sean,

Thank you for writing back. On Extensions, if there is a "disable" button, it means that the extension is in "enabled" state so you can click on Disable button there.

On Plugins, your option is "Never Activate". If it is shown there with "Never Activate", it means the current status is enabled so selecting Never Activate will disable it.

Then follow the rest of the procedures I gave you to resolve the btinternet email issue.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is still here. I am waiting for everything to down load... will revert once down load has finished.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Sean,

Did you remove the btinternet email only or including the other working email account? Also, have you tried disabling extensions and plugins already?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jess,

I disabled the Plugins and Extensions. I closed the btintercet account and re opened if after closing down TB. The problem is still here? I can not move e mails to the btinternet account. The pop up keeps stating unsuccessful connection

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Can you please post the exact pop up message that you are getting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The current command on the inbox did not succeed The mail server for this account ( serve bug) append. Please true again later.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Sean,

As I checked on the error message that you are getting, "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: APPEND FAILED. Try again later." it appears that this is a known problem of Thunderbird with IMAP accounts.

You have 2 options then. First is to switch to POP to eliminate this problem, and second is to stick with IMAP and make a workaround.

The only difference between POP and IMAP accounts is that, the emails always stay on the server as they are synced (not in your computer). If you delete an email in your computer, it will also be deleted in the server when you view your emails on the web mail. With POP, emails are downloaded to your Thunderbird and you have the option to delete them from the server, or remove them from the server.

But by default, when you ADD or setup the email in Thunderbird, it uses IMAP automatically. I believe that is the reason why you have IMAP account in your Thunderbird now.

Please tell me which option you want so that I can provide specific procedures.

Regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon Jess. I can now do my e mails. Sometimes it won't allow me to transfer documents, but its 120% better than it was yesterday.

Thanks for you help Sean

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing back. Wow! I am glad that your Thunderbird is now working fine. l am glad to be of help.

If you need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to request me any time.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years