Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I have suddenly stopped being able to send emails on my pop3

Customer Question

I have suddenly stopped being able to send emails on my pop3 account on my Mac but can receive ok. I have deleted the account details and re-entered (details are the same as they were recorded on a screen shot before deletion)
Category: Email
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.

Ansh P. :

Hi and welcome. I'm Ansh and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Ansh P. :

What is your email service?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

My smtp is talktalk.net.

Ansh P. :

thanks

Ansh P. :

Would you like me to fix this remotely?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Yes please if you can. This problem has occurred once or twice before but righted itself after a few days (of frustration). Could you advise me what to do if/when it happens again please?

Ansh P. :

I will tell you after taking a look

Ansh P. :

Unable to connect?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

yes unable to connect

Ansh P. :

Please try the alternate option once

Ansh P. :

Can you see Elsinore tool in downloads window of safari?

Ansh P. :

?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Sorry cannot download your reply

Ansh P. :

Are you using safari?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Yes

Ansh P. :

Do you see the downloads window of Safari?

Ansh P. :

I am connected

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Yes but cannot open the application

Ansh P. :

please wait

Ansh P. :

I am connected

Ansh P. :

I will check the issue, kindly do not move the cursor

Ansh P. :

Can you restart your modem and computer once

Ansh P. :

modem, router and computer

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

The smtp was just smtp.talktalk.net and did not include excelsior.co.uk

Ansh P. :

I know, the username was included as i was testing authentication

Ansh P. :

It was just for the display, settings were correct

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Sorry

Ansh P. :

No problem.

Ansh P. :

Settings looked fine to me

Ansh P. :

May be a router, modem issue

Ansh P. :

Can you try restarting everything once please

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

I have this problem at home and where I am staying at present - both talk talk modems.

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Will restart

Ansh P. :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Have tried sending again but no luck

Ansh P. :

have you restarted the router/modem?

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Yes

Ansh P. :

I am out of ideas on this issue.

Ansh P. :

Let me open this for other experts to take a look at. Sorry

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Sorry you can't help. I have to go to a meeting shortly. What's the best to do - contact you tomorrow morning and if so how?

Ansh P. :

Yes, you can get back here using the mail from justanswer

Ansh P. :

Most probably some other expert would take over and help you out.

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Will you be available tomorrow morning - not too early!

Ansh P. :

I may or may not be there, but someone should be there online to help you.

JACUSTOMER-541cv9ye- :

Ansh P. :

You're most welcome and have a nice day

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name isXXXXX and I would be happy to assist you today.

I am 5 hours behind you, so let me give you a couple of suggestions just in case I am not available when you return to the site. There are a couple things that could be causing this for you to look into.

1) Your email provider is no longer accepting Port 25 for your SMTP server. If this is the case you will want to swtich to using SSL and port 587. Pretty much make sure your using the same settings that are shown on this page.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email-setup/what-are-talktalks-email-settings

2) You are experiencing a glitch with the Mac Mail.

I recently helped another customer that also had a problem sending out mail. It turned out that for some reason Mac Mail had the SMTP outgoing server disabled, and/or the settings have been changed. I would check in your account settings to be sure that this is not the case. Apparently this is some sort of glitch that many users were experiencing. I think it is probably related to a recent update.

You will want to go into your Advanced Settings for SMTP and see what is listed.

1. Launch Mac Mail
  2. Drop down the mail menu, and choose preferences
  3. Select the email account to modify under accounts .
  4. Beneath Outgoing server (SMTP) click on the drop down bar and select "Edit SMTP server list...".
  5. Click on your desired Outgoing server and then click advanced.

If anything is wrong fix it. You might have to select the option to choose a Custom Port/Setting.

Let me know what you find. I would offer to do a remote session for you as well, but given the time difference I am not sure I will be available for you in the morning. If you don't mind trying later in the day I should be available. I also know that you had trouble getting a remote session going so I figured I would just tell you what to look for. I use Team Viewer instead so worst comes to worst we can always give that a try.

Chris R

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris

I switched on this morning and my email working ok. As a matter of interest did you do this remotely or did it just happen?

This problem has existed a few times before on this computer and has righted itself after in due course but annoying. I keep this computer updated, and as you suggest could be the cause.

I have had no problems with an older Mac, which I keep in case of emergencies, and not updated. I don't know if this feedback is of any use.

I will keep your instructions in case the same thing happens again.

Thanks for your help. Sior R

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. No I did not fix it remotely. Why it is doing this I really don't know. I would still have to see what settings you have. It is common for an ISP or email provider to have a problem with their email servers from time to time so perhaps this is all that is happening. It shouldn't happen all the time though. I would take it up with them to see if they are aware of the issue. Feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris R
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I can send you the settings if you want. All is working ok now. Regards

Sior

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Sior,

No need. Just be sure they are the same settings shown on the webpage I posted previously. If they are, you are all set.