Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

have just transferred my data from a failed computer to a new

have just transferred my data from a failed computer to a new one and downloaded wordpad. But I can no longer read attachments in word or adobe. Those in word after I click on OPEN just appear as gibberish after opening, whereas on old computer they appeared as typed text.

Those in Adobe if i click I get a message saying "file does not have a program associated with it for performing this function". I can not find the SET ASSOCIATIONS CONTROL PANEL it tells me to go to. So how can I get back to being able to read attachments on incoming e mails again?
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Email Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Email Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following:

Viet - Email Tech :

1. Download and install the Adobe Reader program at the website below:
http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Viet - Email Tech :

2. Download and install the OpenOffice program at the website below:
http://openoffice.org/

Viet - Email Tech :

Please type at the box below, then click on the Reply button at the bottom in order to chat with me. Thank you,

Customer:

Thanks for the info and problem partly solved from downloading adobe and open office from urls you sent me.It proved successful in enabling me to read some attachments I was not able to read before. But I am still getting gibberish on others. Is that because it seems to be going into wordpad not into open office. If so how do I stop it going into wordpad in future so that whenever I receive any attachment originally typed in word, my computer will enable me to read exactly what was typed by sender in future instead of getting gibberish ?

Viet - Email Tech :

You're welcome. Yes, from now on, just open documents with OpenOffice Writer

Viet - Email Tech :

From your email, save a Word document (not a PDF / Adobe Reader file) to a folder on your computer, then go to that folder, then right-click on the saved Word document, then click on Properties, then click on Open With..., then select the item OpenOffice Writer. From now on, it will open in OpenOffice. Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks and all now ok and nothing to add to above. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Thank you for the update.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-itstuff/