HunterOwens
HunterOwens, Computer Repairer
Experience:  A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist here to help you resolve your email problem immediately!
20422294

When I go to Hotmail on my Kindle Fire,it says Authentication

When I go to Hotmail on my Kindle Fire,it says Authentication failed,what does that mean?
Category: Email
Expert:  HunterOwens replied 3 years ago.

Hunter Owens :

HunterOwens :

This error means that your Kindle isn't able to connect to the Hotmail server with your supplied information.

HunterOwens :

Have you changed your Hotmail account password XXXXX?

Customer:

Yes ,I have

HunterOwens :

So we need to update the Hotmail password XXXXX on your Kindle. Please wait a few minutes while I prepare instructions for you.

HunterOwens :

How long have you had your Kindle for?

Customer:

Since Christmas ,I,m very much a novice!

HunterOwens :

Oh, Kindles are great though! I'm just checking because different Kindles do have slightly different methods of changing settings.

HunterOwens :

What happens when you tap on the Mail icon currently? Does that Authentication failed message give you any options besides "OK?

Customer:

No,it doesn't

HunterOwens :

Did your Hotmail account previously work on your Kindle or is this your first time setting it up?

Customer:

My Hotmail account was O.K until a few days ago when I was trying to connect with Skype.

HunterOwens :

If you open the browser on your Kindle, are you able to browse to a new website?

Customer:

Not sure,as I say I'm really new at this game!

HunterOwens :

From the main screen do you see an option called Web across the navigation bar near the top of the screen?

Customer:

Got it.

HunterOwens :

Tap there, and then there should be a list of some popular website thumbnails, try tapping on one of them.

Customer:

Done that,Trending Now .Will that do?

HunterOwens :

Yes

HunterOwens :

We just need to see if it's connected to the Internet or not

HunterOwens :

Do any websites seem to be loading?

Customer:

Not at the moment

HunterOwens :

Do you get an error message?

Customer:

No

HunterOwens :

In the upper-right corner do you see an icon that resembles the wireless signal icon on a cell phone?

Customer:

Yes

HunterOwens :

Is it gray or black? Does it have an X in it?

Customer:

Its white actually ,no x

HunterOwens :

Okay. No x is a good sign. If you go to the Mail app, are you able to tap the menu icon at the bottom of the screen? It looks like a piece of paper with three lines on it.

HunterOwens :

Or if you don't see the Menu icon, from within the Mail app, let me know if you're able to swipe your finger from left to right and pull up a new menu.

Customer:

I have the menu icon

HunterOwens :

If you tap on the menu icon do you see a Settings icon?

HunterOwens :

The Settings icon should have a gear above it.

HunterOwens :

You might need to tap OK on the Authentication failed message before trying to tap the Menu button.

Customer:

Sorry must continue later .have to go

HunterOwens :

Not a problem. I know it's getting late. You can return here at anytime by clicking a link sent to your email on your computer.

HunterOwens, Computer Repairer
Experience: A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist here to help you resolve your email problem immediately!
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your patience in resolving your issue. When you return, please follow the steps below to update the Hotmail password XXXXX your Kindle to your new Hotmail password. If you aren't 100% sure of your Hotmail password, you can sign out and sign back in on your computer at Hotmail.com to check it.

1. Go to the Mail app and then tap the Menu icon (piece of paper with three lines). You may need to tap OK on the error message first before tapping Menu.
2. Tap Settings from the Menu pop-up menu. (Example here)
3. Tap on Incoming server. (Example here)
4. Tap in the Password XXXXX delete your current password, and then type in your new password. (Example here)
5. Go back to the Settings screen and select Outgoing server this time.
6. Tap in the Password XXXXX delete your current password, and then type in your new password.
7. Tap Next after updating this password XXXXX and then your Hotmail access should be restored after updating your password.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter