IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Have sent too very important emails - one particularly today

Have sent too very important emails - one particularly today and one last Thursday. Message on screen .... "CANNOT GET MAIL - THE CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS FAILED". Why?
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Do you use Microsoft Outlook to send and receive e-mails or another e-mail client?

Also, when did this problem start to happen?

Let me know,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not use Outlook'.
The problem first came to light on 13 February 2014 when I assumed I had made an error. But on 15 February I again found that another important email had not been sent and was not stored in any of the mailboxes.
I would really like to be able to retrieve those two emails.
I have since 'sent' test emails which have not been received.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

Please tell me which e-mail service you use (for example GMail, Yahoo!, Hotmail) and how you access you e-mail account - is it via web browser or via desktop e-mail client?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HOTMAIL - which was set up by PC World when I purchased a laptop in 2012, which I never used and bought for the sole purpose of having WiFi in the house for the benefit of my family in the USA who were visiting for Christmas that year. Not knowing I had bought a laptop, that very same Christmas my entire family had clubbed together to buy me an
iPad and the data on the laptop was transferred to this iPad.
In 2013 I had the laptop restored to factory settings and gave it to my Grandson.
This iPad is used solely for family email contact ..... I have no need to go "on line" - preferring to use telephone or face-to-face contact which indicates how very much I am concerned that the "sent" facility is restored and the carefully thought through emails retrieved. I have never before paid for any goods or services over the internet.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi!

To confirm, do you access your Hotmail account via the laptop or iPad (or both)? Where do you see the "CANNOT GET MAIL - THE CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS FAILED" message?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

iPad - as I previously documented, I no longer own a laptop.
The "CANNOT GET MAIL - THE CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS FAILED" message comes up in a box in the centre of the screen.

Also, it has taken 30 minutes to download your last text ..... With a further message on the screen (not boxed) "THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN DOWNLOADED FROM THE SERVER". It would appear that not only can I not send messages but now have difficulties receiving them.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for confirming that!

What I would like to know more is if your e-mail is a business e-mail account connected to an Exchange server or it is a "standard" e-mail account such as GMail, Yahoo!, etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The e-mail is solely for personal use which I access via the 'MAIL' icon. I assume it is a standard Hotmail account. I rarely venture into 'Safari' and only did so on 15 February because I was very concerned that two very important e-mails had not been received or appeared in the 'sent' mailbox and was looking for a solution to the frustrating issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The e-mail is solely for personal use which I access via the 'MAIL' icon. I assume it is a standard Hotmail account. I rarely venture into 'Safari' and only did so on 15 February because I was very concerned that two very important e-mails had not been received or appeared in the 'sent' mailbox and was looking for a swift solution to the frustrating issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem continues as I was unable to 'send' this reply via e-mail.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

Thanks for the information.

In that case, you can remove your Hotmail account from the iPad and re-add it. By doing so, iPad will recreate the account and should use the correct settings for accessing the Hotmail servers. It will then re-download all e-mails, so you don't need to worry about losing your e-mails.

To remove the account, follow these instructions:

1. Tap on Settings icon

2. Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars section

3. Under the Accounts section, tap on your Hotmail account

4. A new window will open where you can delete the account

5. Once done, I suggest restarting your iPad

6. After the restart, you can re-add the account by going to the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section and clicking on Add Account...

7. Follow the instructions there to re-add the account, then check if you can successfully send and receive e-mails

However, if the problem is still there, it seems is happens when you have too many e-mails in your Inbox folder. So, deleting some of the e-mails or just moving them to another e-mail folder would solve the problem.

To delete or move e-mails, you can use Safari web browser.

Let me know the results.

Regards,
IT Miro

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

Several days have passed since I provided an answer here, and you haven't replied, so I would like to know if my answer helped or you still require assistance?

If you do, don't hesitate to reply any time.

If my answer was helpful, please use one of the smiley buttons next to my answer to rate the service I provided. Rating won't cost you anything extra, and it is a way to thank me for helping you.

Thanks!
IT Miro