Ansh P.
Ansh P., Email Expert
Experience:  10 years experience in Mail Software/Webmail technology.
14055801

I use Outlook Express as my email account and I have recently

Customer Question

I use Outlook Express as my email account and I have recently been sent email attachments I cannot open. This has occurred from time to time and I can usually open them by using "save as" and then open them with a different option. At the moment I have an email that if defeating me. Please can someone help. Also I have recently bought a tablet and I want to use Outlook Express on this but I have no idea how to set it up. Please help.
Category: Email
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Ansh P. :

Hi and welcome. I'm Ansh and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Ansh P. :

What type of file is the attachment?

Customer :

Is it possible you could take over my screen as I am not able to answer your question. Sorry I have to go out for a while so will be back online in about an hour.

Ansh P. :

No problem, reply once you come back.

Ansh P. :

I will take over and try to solve the issue.

Customer :

Hi I am back now. I will keep an eye out to see if you are back online.

Ansh P. :

Are you using Internet Explorer?

Customer :

I use Google. I'm sorry I have only a basic knowledge of most things. That is why I was hoping you could take over my screen and help.

Ansh P. :

Are you available now?

Customer :

Yes.

Ansh P. :

please go to this link and try to join the session: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=12f71c93-342a-4dec-8a95-0c980f3709a3

Ansh P. :

In case it does not works, let me know

Ansh P. :

Connected

Ansh P. :

It should open now

Ansh P. :

directly from mail

Customer :

Thanks. Will this have any effect on other email attachments I open? I put Open Office on my computer a while ago after someone advised me to and it effected a lot of my documents and also printing of documents. Please can I check to see a few of my documents read and open OK? In the end I took it off because I had so many problems after I had downloaded it.

Ansh P. :

Sure, I will wait.

Ansh P. :

I have alternate solution as well

Ansh P. :

please go ahead

Customer :

I can at least read the ones I looked at. But the format on the page is different. What is your alternate solution?

Ansh P. :

Loading another software for email attachments

Customer :

OK

Ansh P. :

Should I do that?

Customer :

Yes pls just in case.

Ansh P. :

but that will negate open office

Customer :

That's OK if you don't mind. I did have lots of problems before.

Ansh P. :

ok pls wait

Ansh P. :

ok attachments should work

Ansh P. :

:)

Customer :

Thanks. I think you have lost me on the tablet problem, way above my head!

Ansh P. :

Yes, that's a complex one. I can understand, not your fault.

Ansh P. :

Outlook express is not available on tablets but other mail clients are there.

Ansh P. :

But with current config of outlook express on your computer, you can't setup mail in tablet so that both will be in sync (i.e. if you delete mail from tablet, it will not delete mail from outlook express as well, both will have different copies of same mail)

Customer :

I have email on my tablet but it's the one I have on my computer...the BT Yahoo one. i don't use it I just have to delete everything every now and then. Yes I know I am probably mad in wanting Outlook Express but I like the simple format and I have now been using it for years. I don't want to use the email on my tablet as I thnk it mirrors the BT Yahoo one. Oh dear am I being awkward? I think my son thinks I am!!

Ansh P. :

Not at all. I am glad that you are asking good questions.

Ansh P. :

I think in your tablet, you are accessing mail via the browser.

Ansh P. :

You can setup the same mail on an email client in tablet. Outlook express is an email client but unfortunately, it's not available for tablets as it's a very old software.

Ansh P. :

There are latest clients for tablets on which your mail can be configured. :)

Customer :

Well it has a shortcut on the screen so I am not that knowledgeable to know the answer to that one.....sorry

Ansh P. :

How does that shortcut icon looks like?

Customer :

A white envelope with a yellow square sticking out of it and a @ in white on the yellow square.

Ansh P. :

I guess you are using the default mail client on the tablet itself.

Ansh P. :

As BT uses yahoo's service, you may try downloading the app for yahoo mail, that may be a good solution. If you like we can continue this tomorrow. Too late down here.

Ansh P. :

I think same for you as I can see you are in UK.

Customer :

Yes good idea. Do I just leave this screen open? Where are you?

Ansh P. :

If you don't mind, let's open a new question for the other issue please. :) I am in India, around 4 a.m. here. By the way, I just visited your beautiful country a couple of months back. It was really a good experience.

Ansh P. :

You can close this question by rating me. Tomorrow, we can catch up at your evening time to discuss about the tablet issue. In your question, kindly mention that it's for Ansh.

Ansh P. :

No issues. Stonehenge was the one I liked the most.

Customer :

Oh no I had no idea it was so late for you. Sorry. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Do I have to pay again?

Ansh P. :

No problem. If you are subscription - No.

Ansh P. :

Else if you do not want to pay again, just come back to this same page, I will continue helping. No worries.

Customer :

No. I am not on subscription.

Ansh P. :

In that case, just bookmark this page and come back here. I will continue helping. :)

Customer :

OK I will finish and rate you. Thank you.

Ansh P. :

You're most welcome. See you tomorrow.

Ansh P. :

Good night!

Ansh P., Email Expert
Experience: 10 years experience in Mail Software/Webmail technology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Ansh,

Are you there yet today? I found one document I could not open with the new software and I wondered if you would have a look at it for me. It opens but makes no sense and is illegible.

Sorry about that I know you are going to have a look at Outlook Express really today. Thank you.

Viv Bailey

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Viv,

I am online now. Let me know once you are online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am online now thanks.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not happy with what you did yesterday. I need to contact you about the problems.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Yes Viv, what is the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. I now have 2 in boxes both accepting the same emails but not in sync so I have everything duplicated.

2. I have a folder for Bulk Mail with some very unsavoury emails in which I never had before.

3. I have a sent items and a sent folder but do not understand what the difference is.

4. When I delete emails they just appear with a line through the title and a red cross at the beginning of the line. I have managed to delete items from my Bulk Mail but they didn' t go straight away. They are not in the trash folder so where can I get back deleted emails if I ever need to?

5. I don't understand why you accepted my question yesterday when you say you do not know about tablets.

I now feel in a complete muddle and don't know what I am expected to do. I asked my question hoping someone would sort something out for me but to be honest I feel I would have been better not to have asked at all.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
I can undo what was done earlier. I know it's a bit different but this is how IMAP works.

I accepted your question to solve the OE attachments issue. As per JustAnswer's policy, an expert should solve one issue per ticket unless it's related to another issue. I thought I will guide you to a tablet expert after solving the Outlook Express issue.

Anyways, let me know if you want to undo whatever I did earlier(outlook express and attachment settings). I will do it for you. And I will also request customer service to reverse the payment you gave to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please reverse the situation. I like my old Outlook Express format, which is what started it all in the first place. There is no need to credit me with payment as I know you worked hard on this. I didn't feel you made the situation clear though and I was left feeling confused. I will just delete my email facility on my tablet as it's pointless if not in sync with what I use everyday.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Viv.

Kindly give me remote access via: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=b639b3c6-773c-4619-9733-0b8e747c37a1