Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Ive just opened a mail [email protected] telling me that

Customer Question

I've just opened a mail [email protected] telling me that unless I upgrade by tomorrow I will lose my email address. Great, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I need as I get home from an operation today.

You tell me to 'click on the link and follow instructions' but that link takes me to levita.ca, and I get a message up from Toshiba telling me that it is a dangerous site and no to go there. Thanks again!

What do you expect me to do? Changing the way we had to log in was bad enough, now this.

Christopher Fillier-Brown ([email protected] - but not for long at this rate)
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Chris, a certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

The email you received is an attempt at what is called "phishing".

Phishing emails are made to look like they are from a legitimate source and they try and fool you into giving over your information such as your password or other personal information.

Toshiba blocking the website is a great thing and possibly saved you from getting your account hacked.

Your email address does not need to be upgraded and you are not going to lose your email address tomorrow. This is a common scam and is meant to scare you into clicking over to another website and typing your user name and password and sometimes they will try and get you to enter your credit card information.

You can go ahead and delete the email as there was no harm done at this time.

Here is a good article on some examples of phishing scams:
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/scamsandidentitytheft/ig/Phishing-Scams-and-Email-Cons/

Everyone who uses email receives these sometimes and it is best to just delete them or ask a professional if you are not sure. You did the right thing in this case so you should be proud of yourself.

If you have further questions please let me know.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that info Chris.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. If you ever receive an email like this again and are not sure if it is legitimate feel free to ask me.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Thanks,
Chris