Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Can police retrieve data from a permanently deleted Facebook

Can police retrieve data from a permanently deleted Facebook account.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

It may be technically possible for them to retrieve it however facebook would have to provide this to them. The police themselves would not have any ability to access a deleted account.

Facebook would not provide them the information without a court order, they would not just provide it upon request. But for example say this account was related to a murder trial or something the court could ask facebook to provide the information.

Even still though, I do not think facebook would hold onto deleted account data forever. I am sure they do have the information on back ups but they would not be saving deleted profiles forever.

Usually a good back up plan goes back maybe a couple of months and then you overwrite the back up to save space. So depending on if the court ordered the information turned over and if facebook even still had the information it may be possible but it is pretty unlikely.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the same apply to Instagram as well?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Yes. When you delete something from an online service there usually will be back ups somewhere. But remember what I said, this is not the type of thing that is just handed over to anyone mainly due to work involved in recovering it.

This is why there would need to be some type of court order and it would probably need to be related to some very serious case.

You should know though that whatever you deleted could have been saved by someone else. They may have taken screen shots or something like that. So just because you delete something does not mean that it does not exist elsewhere.

But the chances of police getting the deleted accounts information is very slim.

Thanks,
Chris
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.

It was my pleasure assisting you with your question. I just wanted to follow up and see how everything is going and if you needed help with anything else. If you do not please rate my service.

Thanks,
Chris