KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Exchange & Email Consultant
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

problem sending emails on mac book pro

Customer Question

problem sending emails on mac book pro
Category: Email
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

May i know what is the exact error you are getting when you try to send e-mails?

I can also remotely login to your computer to troubleshoot the issue, that will be easier to do the steps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes it says Authentification required,

sometimes 'the server cannot be contacted on the default ports' and sometimes 'connection to the server smtp.talktalk.net on the ports timed out'.

May i login remotely to troubleshoot the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

No problem.

Please tell me what the Outgoing SMTP settings are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where can I find those?

Click on the menu marked Mail, Go to Preferences, Go to Accounts.

Under Outgoing Mail Server, click Server Settings - If it is not there, then click the small arrow pointing downwards then select Server Settings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Outgoing server : smtp.talktalk.net

If you edit it, you will see there will be more settings. (port number, etc). I need to know those as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't find any more information. Edit button provided nothing.

Did you click on "Edit SMTP Server List" ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Use default ports (25, 465, 587)

Use secure sockets layer (SSL)

1. Uncheck, Use Secure Sockets Layer.

2. Select Use Custom Ports and type 587 in the port box.

Below it, there should be an authentication tab too, can you tell me what does it has?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Authentification tab : None

Select Password in Authentication, and below it enter your username and password XXXXX talktalk.

Apply those settings and try sending a test message.

The settings you had were incorrect, so after applying those settings your e-mail should work fine.

And, if you can take a second to rate my service below that will be greatly appreciated.

IF you need further help, you can reply me on this question whenever you want.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Email not working.

Message : Message cannot be sent because account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server.

Can you go to the Edit SMTP Server List settings again, and in the top pane, you will see "In Use By Account"

Tell me what accounts are listed under "In Use By Account"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

smtp.talktalk.net

smtp.tiscali.co.uk

You appear to have more then one accounts.

Please do the following:

Go to Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts:

Under Accounts, click each account and then select smtp.talktalk.net for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP).

See sample image below for reference:

Then, try sending email from your talktalk account, while sending email make sure you are sending from the talktalk address.

Test and let me know please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done that. Also talk talk has contacted me and requested that I reset my account with them with a new password XXXXX I have done.I tried sending email after doing this. Didn't work still. I have now put authentication back to none and tried sending again. Still does not work. I cannot spend much more time on this as I have to go out.

No problem. If you wish you can come back later and speak to me so we can continue working on this. As i stated before, this problem requires troubleshooting, if you prefer to do it remotely, it would not take more then 5 minutes as i'll be able to quickly figure out where or which part are the settings incorrect,we do it all the time and you will be able to see what i am doing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't want to use the remote fix as I will have no control over what you are doing with my laptop.

You will have control, and we have the option of doing viewing session only, where i will not have control but will be able to see screen so i can tell you where to click and where to go.

There will be a red X on the program, which you can click and disconnect me when you want to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, I'm really not happy with the results as my laptop seems to be in more of a mess now that I've altered things. I would like to cancel my payment and finish now.

No problem, i will do that for you. Thanks