Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have bought a new computer with Win 7 operating system but

I have bought a new computer with Win 7 operating system but I appear to have lost my original instalation disks. Could I buy replacements so that I can use my printer on my new computer? My printer is a MG5300 and is registered with Canon for their user info.
Kind regards, ***** *****
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello John my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Please read through the instructions before trying them so you understand what needs to be done.

You actually do not need to use the disc in order to set up the printer.

Basically what needs to happen is you need to install the printer driver before the printer will work. This is the purpose of the CD but you can also download the driver so you do not need a CD.

Windows 7 also has the ability to automatically find and install the driver for you but this method does not always work. There are two things I want you to try.

Connect the printer to the computer and turn the power on.

Next wait a few moments and see if widows automatically installs it. You will know because you will receive an alert on the bottom right of your screen that says that windows detected the printer and is installing the software for it.

If windows cannot find the correct driver you need to click HERE , go all the way to the bottom of that page and click accept and download.

Once the download is done run the downloaded file, this will install the proper driver.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris