Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Network Administrator
Experience:  I am a self-employed computer specialist experienced at setting up and administrating email accounts.
76287196

Message on my smart phone for email is "couldnt finish"

Customer Question

Message on my smart phone for email is "couldn't finish" "couldn't open connection to server". What should I do?
Category: Email
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 3 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I need more information so that I can help you with your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

What is the make and model of your smartphone? Are you having trouble sending email or receiving email? Without giving me your email address (because it will be blocked in this open communication channel), please give me the domain name (following the @ sign).

Customer:

yahoo.co.uk

Customer:

smartphone is Motorola XT1032 (Moto G)

Customer:

cannot send or receive emails

JoelK :

Go to Settings - Accounts - Add Account - Email - Manual Settings. Then use the following settings:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 995)
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication)
Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com")
Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (e.g.,***@******.***)
Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above procedure.

If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating. If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

Customer:

Sorry, came to grief at once! Don't understand references to Incoming Mail, Outgoing Mail etc. This is all new to me.

Joel Kalman, Network Administrator
Experience: I am a self-employed computer specialist experienced at setting up and administrating email accounts.
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you still need help with this issue?

For testing purpose, are you still able to sign in and use your yahoo email address at the yahoo email website http://mail.yahoo.com/?

Do you remember your exact yahoo email password?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to tell you, I'm still not getting anywhere. I got as far as incoming mail on your instructions and no further. I'm beginning to accept that I can't use my smartphone for emails (or for internet). At least the old laptop will do as I ask it!

Hi again. This is Joel.
Another expert recommended that you go to the yahoo website and login there to validate your password. I agree. You can do this either on your computer or on your smartphone, and you do it through your web browser. The web address is http://mail.yahoo.com.
The reason for doing this is that an incorrect password ***** prevent you from setting up your email account correctly on your smartphone. If you can login to your yahoo mail on the yahoo website, then we know that we are working with the correct password ***** we do the setup. DO NOT GIVE UP AT THIS POINT. THERE ARE STILL THINGS THAT WE CAN DO TO MAKE THIS WORK!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't log in on smartphone ,nor on computer as it tells me my password ***** ***** So I'm baffled and don't know what to do next. You have got an idiot here as a customer!

NOT TO WORRY. NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE. YOUR PASSWORD ***** ***** PROBLEM, AND WE CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT.
You can go to yahoo email on the web and click on "I can't acessmy account Help". Then select the radio button that says, "I have a problem with my password". The website will ask you to enter the email address associated with you account. You can choose the option to have your password ***** as a text message to your phone, or you may have the opportunity to answer security questions that you established when you created your gmail account.
ONCE YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR CORRECT PASSWORD,WE CAN GO FROM THERE AND SET UP YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT ON YOUR SMARTPHONE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joel

My problems are solved!!! In the end I telephoned Yahoo helpline, and after much conversation (unintelligible half the time) with an Indian gentleman, it was established that I had been hacked. Now with a new password ***** offending smart phone is behaving itself. I am really very grateful indeed for your efforts to help me. Would "good service" be ok for you?

.

JACUSTOMER - JmqrqOkt

Yes, absolutely! I would be most grateful for a Good Service rating. I know that I could have been more responsive. Thank you for your consideration! I am glad that your problem has been resolved. I knew we could do it together.
This question timed out before you could rate my services, but I appealed to the moderator, and I received an Excellent rating, as it turned out. I really appreciate your expression of confidence.

If you have any problems in the future with your computer, printer, or android device, be sure to return to Just Answer. You can ask for me by name.

Joel