Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I am trying to get my emails.. Am currently in South Africa

I am trying to get my emails.. Am currently in South Africa for two months .. It says it looks as if someone is using my email account... To verify it is my account, it asks for the last four digits of my telephone number, which i did... Then it asks for my account code. I have no idea what that is, i tried my email password, which it obviously is not. What is this code?
Category: Email
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
This is an additional security by Hotmail to prevent unauthorized access.
Hotmail, when asked for your number would send a text message to that number with the code.
Did you check your phone for this code?
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been asked for my phone number
It did ask for your last 4 digits as stated in your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but that is my UK home phone number
That is the number linked to your account, where they would send the code to.
Do you have any one at home to take the call and provide you with the code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , nobody. I have a mobile number here in SA, i also have my UK mobile phone with me. Any good?
Only the number linked to the account. I can take a look at this by remotely connecting to your computer to see if we can get around this.
Would you like me to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok you can try
Please click the link below:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=492354
OR >>>CLICK ME<<<
A program called 'support-logmeinrescue.exe' will be downloaded.
Click on the downloaded file and click run.
If asked by system to allow the file to run, select "Yes/Allow/OK"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It said that the technician is not configured to use that support system
The program needs to run within 20 minutes.
Please click the link below:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=909592
OR >>>CLICK ME<<<
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, it just says the technician is not configured t support this system
what operating system are you on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I clicked on the link you sent me.. It comes up as: Disconnected, the technician is not... Etc
which device are you using to chat with me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Apple ipad
Remote connection will not work on iPad. I will opt out to let another expert assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can i not just change my email address?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

From time to time microsoft will ask you to confirm that this is your account by sending you a code. They often do this when they detect log in from someplace you do not usually log in from.

If you do not have access to the account or phone number which is listed in your recovery information you can still log in.

You will see a box that says "Where should we send your code?"

Click the arrow to the right of the email address that is shown and choose "I cant verify my account"

Now click next

Click next again and enter an email address that you do have access to.

You will then receive a code to the email address that you do have access to.

Once you properly enter the code it will tell you the account will be locked for 30 days. What this means is during the next 30 days you cannot change the password ***** security information on this account.

Even though the account is locked from changing security information you may still access the mail by going to www.hotmail.com , when you log in it will ask you if you recently made a change so say yes. If it does not bring you directly to your inbox retyped hotmail.com in the browser. Just so you know the mail app may not work on the ipad due to the account being in a locked state so you may need to check the mail by going to hotmail.com in the browser instead.

The reason you are having to go through all of this is because your account recovery information is not up to date, it is important that you always keep a current back up email address and phone number on the account and take measures to make sure all is up to date when travelling abroad.

Please take a moment to rate my service by clicking a smiley face below. You can still speak with me after doing so if you need more information.
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.