Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

Emails sent to me are bouncing back. How do I stop this h

Emails sent to me are bouncing back. How do I stop this happening?
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you today.

I require some additional information before I know if I can help. First, what email service are you using? With this email service are you using the mail on a website or are you using an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook? Last, how do you know that email is bouncing back and what does the redirected email say? Do you have a copy of the redirected mail that I can see? I would be interested in knowing if there was any error messages or codes given with the bounced back email. Do you have a second email that you can use to send yourself an email for test purposes?

I'll be off and on for a while so when you get the chance let me know. I see you are in the UK though, so I might miss you due to the time difference. Keep me posted. Thank you.

Chris R
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't answer these questions - I have not seen the returned emails.

They are reported by other people.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
John,

Without knowing what is in the redirected emails it is pretty much impossible to know what can be going on. One thing that can be happening is that your mailbox is at full capacity and they are getting an email back saying that the mailbox is full. Another possiblity is that it can't be delivered because the account was flagged because it was sending too many junk or suspcious emails. This can happen if you have some sort of malware on your computer that you do not know of and it has been sending things out without you knowing.

At any rate, I am just speculating since more detail is needed. Your best is to try sending yoursefl and email from a secondary account and see what happens.

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now managed to get hold of a copy of the returned email. Hope this helps.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <*****@******.***>
(reason: 521 5.2.1 : (HVU:B2) http://l.facebook.com/l/QAQF5HsS-AQGBczQcmf-avvoHdtkMlJ-MYf893FqCJMslKQ/postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvub2.html)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mailin-01.mx.aol.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 521 5.2.1 : (HVU:B2) http://l.facebook.com/l/QAQF5HsS-AQGBczQcmf-avvoHdtkMlJ-MYf893FqCJMslKQ/postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvub2.html
554 5.5.0 Remote protocol error

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry we are on different times. It was a little passed midnight when I received your latest response. I looked into this error and I have a few questions so that I can clear things up .

1) Is your primary email address and AOL account?

2) Are people sending you mail using your Facebook email address?(if you have FaceBook)

3) What email address are the people sending you mail from? Their @

If people are sending to your Facebook tell them not to do that anymore and to send directly to your AOL mail address. I have read that Facebook might be doing away with their email address anyway.

At any rate, if it is not something related to Facebook then there is some sort of web link that your contacts are adding to their message that is causing the AOL system to block the mail. A website link, or an email address pr some sort of text is common in all the mail being sent to you that is causing the AOL filters to block it.

If you were to have someone send a message to your AOL address with nothing in the body or just a simple Hello, it should go through. So to solve the problem have them strip down all attachments or links/urls that may be in the body of the message and then slowly add back content until they find what is causing the trigger. Once you do find the culprit and it is necessary to include it in the mail you would have to contact AOL support to have them look into removing it from the filter. AOL support is the only one that can change the filter so that the mail is no longer blocked.