Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

i have sent a email in error to my son in Australia how can

i have sent a email in error to my son in Australia how can i recall it or destroy it
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Which email service were you using to send this and which one was your son using. What I mean by email service is something like yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc...

Please let me know,
Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sent by gmail too a gmail

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

In some company networks with their own mail servers it is possible to recall an email if the email server allows it.

Unfortunately with gmail it is not possible to recall an email after it has been sent. There is no time in transit and when you clicked send the email is already in the other person's inbox nearly instantaneously.

Your account no longer has control over that message once it is sent. The only thing I can suggest is to send another email explaining that it was sent in error.

You can set up your gmail account to be able to cancel sending an email but this means that you would have to realize you clicked send by mistake, this would not help in your situation. However if you are interested in adding the feature to your account here is how you can do that.

Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.

Next click Labs.

Use the "Search for Lab" box to look up “Undo Send”.

Choose Enable, then save.

Return to "General" tab within "Settings" and you will see “Undo Send" options.

As I said this essentially provides you with a way to cancel an email from sending but does not help if the email has already been sent.

I am really sorry that there is not a way to recall it completely but as I said the message is already in their inbox at this point so it is out of your accounts control.

This is a tough situation for sure but I assure there is no technical way to get you out of it in terms of "unsending the message".

It is the same thing as leaving someone a voicemail. It will be waiting for them and you cannot "un leave" the voice mail.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated and are how I receive credit for my time and expertise.

Chris